• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb with some winter wheeling pics!

bthrb4u

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've been strolling around for the past few weeks just to see whats going on here, seems to be a good crowd. I'm all the way up in the frigid north . . . Alaska, but there is definately some good wheeling.

I picked up a 93' XJ about 3 weeks ago and me being me I couldn't leave it well enough alone. I dont have any before pics (wish like hell I did) but here are some trolling around in the woods with a buddy in 20 below :bawl:

I picked it up for 900 bucks in this awesome gold color with tan interior and a chevy astro van grill . . . . I have no idea why it was in there. It had some great winter tires on it but were on the small side 28x6x15's. First thing I did was a good tune up and fluid change. Then made my way to the paint section at the local schucks and nabbed 40 bucks worth of semi-gloss black and some scotch brite pads to give it the krylon touch. Then I searched craigslist to find some tires. I ended up getting 4 BFG a/ts with wheels for 200 in the 31x10.5 variety. Got them all mounted up and started to trim. The plan was to move the factory flares up a bit. The first one went flawlessly, then the second all the studs broke off so I'm left with one fender flare. I didnt trim the rear because of the body seem and I dont have a welder to do it correctly so I didnt touch them. I then gave Rusty's a call to get their coil spacer and shackle kit. After tossing them on I realized that I needed some longer shocks so I threw on some rancho 5000's, what a difference that made! So thats about the jist of everything so far.

Here is a shot looking over an artillery range
IMG_0307.jpg

My buddy Lauren and his 99' TJ
IMG_0419.jpg

My XJ on the edge of a drop off into some trees
IMG_0426.jpg

Lauren trying to self recover with the loud pedal
IMG_0411.jpg

Me trying to do the same thing
IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Lauren always in the rear
IMG_0465.jpg

Tree damage
IMG_0291.jpg

Lauren getting unstuck again
IMG_0421.jpg

All in all it was a really good time, I found a few week point in the XJ but nothing to bad. I need to trim a little on the rear fenders, wire up an electric fan, it kept hitting 260+, a front bumper would have been nice out there and I definatly need some meatier tires or maybe some that just have tread on them, haha.

Back