• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help spending money

boost_fr3@k

NAXJA Forum User
....soo....after some careful money managment, I have come up with 350 dollars which I am budgeting to the XJ! wOOt! I just have no idea what I want to do with it....

I want a rear locker...but I'm not sure I can score one for 350. I'm also considering the Detours USA xj backbone system...I have an old warn 8000lb winch that would fit onit.

HELP!

I suggest getting an Aussie locker for the FRONT first. It will increase your ability more than just a rear locker. Aussies can be had for right around $300. If you get one I can install it for ya for a pizza!

how is the front locker gonna affect daily driving tho...this is my daily driver.

And thats a good thought about the mud and snow, seeing as I'm currently in southern illinois where those are the only two things we have....mud and snow.......oh, and a lot of rusted out ford mud monsters. LoL

how is the front locker gonna affect daily driving tho...this is my daily driver.

And thats a good thought about the mud and snow, seeing as I'm currently in southern illinois where those are the only two things we have....mud and snow.......oh, and a lot of rusted out ford mud monsters. LoL
Then I'd definitely put the money into a rear locker. What rear end is in the Jeep right now?

Now, as another suggestion, I would DEFINITELY recommend frame stiffening. It is by far the best mod I've done to my Jeep to date.

Non Selectable in the rear on a DD is fine. I have an Aussie in mine, I only notice in parking lots, and its only the clicking.

Just a quick list of things you may, or may not have but should.

Front and rear recovery points.
A basic trail survival kit... Tow strap and related stuff, medical kit,Hi lift jack, fire extinguisher.
A junkyard gas tank skid.
Rock rails.

What are the specs on your Jeep? Knowing that will make it easier for people suggest things to buy..

x2 on the aussie.. I love mine.

My comments were based on my area. I didn't notice where you were. Yeah, in your case a rear locker will be better. A front locker does not affect driveability at all unless you have full time 4WD. An Aussie is newly available for the 29 spline 8 1/4 rear if that's what you have. For the 27 spline there are a coulpe of choices in the $350 range.

I suggest you sit on your $350 for now and wait of a good deal to roll around on a item you really need for your jeep.. If that is too hard, start with armour, rock rails, ect...

BTW, I went with a rear locker first, and waited forever to try and save up for a front selectable locker. It never happened. So I gave up and I just spent 250 on an aussie for the front and spent the rest on beer (Kevin H's idea).

If you lock the rear first, you will get sort of pushed around and climbing up a ledge will be harder. Your rear will push your front end up on over it, but once you loose traction up top with your front axle, you won't make it as easy if your front was locked and it would just pull you up.

If you do decide to lock the front, carry spare shafts until you can afford better shafts (alloys, full clips, 297x, etc). A locker up front can bind up your shafts and spit out u-joints. It happens even on 31s.

Be real careful with non selectable lockers. I live at 6,500 feet and get about 6-9 ft of snow a year. I have to deal with snow and mud on a daily level from about late November to about early April. I have a detroit locker in the rear and a detroit tru trac in the front. On the trail they are great but in the snow and ice, they are horrible. My Jeep is my daily driver and it does great in the spring, summer, and fall and down the mountain but winter is a whole other story. If you want to spend some money I would advise you to get a little more first and buy some selectable lockers. Keeping traction around an uphill turn on a icy highway is a real bitch. I detroyed my Wrangler, which also had detroits front and rear and have almost destroyed my Cherokee multiple times. My neighbor has the Rubicon JK with the selectable lockers and his rig is like glue on icy roads. Go with the selectables if this is your daily driver and you live in a snow area. Take the advice from someone who heavily wheels their DD and has to deal with snow and ice on a daily level.

What are the specs on your Jeep? Knowing that will make it easier for people suggest things to buy..

x2 on the aussie.. I love mine.

As of now...its a 95 Sport, 4.5" Rusy's lift kit, 31x10.50 Pro Comp Muds, RCX rock sliders, RCX d30 diff guard.

I have a rear hitch receiver, so a front recovery point might not be a bad idea. Is there a way to just kinda add a recovery point in front without buying a front bumper?

As far as the tools idea. I have a recovery strap, and a first aid kit, and most of my tools are in the trunk of my truck anyways.

Back