• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door hinge sound,

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
2001 xj sport., 69,000
on my passenger side front door.
as you go to close it, it makes a creek sound toward the bottom hinge area,doesn't make any sounds when opening , or starting to close from farthest point out. just when its about 8 inches from closing is when the sound creek starts.
no metal is touching and door is hung even. hinges look fine, no cracks?
it started last winter.
then when summer came the sound went away.
no it's cooling off again, and the noise just came back today.?

you guys think its a bushing or something, that cold would affect it.?
i have greased the door till ya can't even see the hinges anymore. lol
any suggestions?
i don't want to take the front fender off and have to redo hinges.
if it can be a simple fix.
thanks,

is there any sag to the door when open? open it and try to pull up on the outside corner and watch the hinges, if there is a lot of movement you may need a new lower hinge if that is where the sound is coming from. Also make sure that the body is not torn in the are of the hinge, sounds stupid but we had this same type of sound on an ambulance at work and after some looking I found the A piller had torn behind the hinge.

There is a roll pin in there, keep an eye on it, you are hearing a binding sound, when mine did that the roll pin shot out vanished. Ended up with a nail till I got to a parts store. I think it does it from wear, the roll pin I used still works it's way up and down, the factory one has some kind of step in it that prevents this..

The weld that holds the hinge to the frame of the Jeep is likely stressed and cracking. If it's minor, you can reweld it, if it's pretty bad, then you can get a rivet on brace for the hinge to brace it back to the frame. The brace kit works great and it's cheap. I rewelded mine a few times, but then it got really bad one day so I got the kit and it's been fine ever since.

5-90 said:
Could be the rubber bit in the "door check" (the part that holds the door open) is getting a little dry - silicone spray may help - but don't use anything petroleum-based.

ert01 - Where did you get that rivet-on kit? Was it OEMR, or aftermarket?

5-90

Hey 5-90,

there is a TSB about door hinge repair. there are two differernt kits avalable from CrysCo. One for minor seperation and another for major seperation.

I'n not at my 'puter right now, if you need the info I can PM you Monday night.

Keep up the good work.

Lee

It's the pin in the device that keeps the doors opened. My passenger side doesn't "pop" but the drivers side does......I've used some white lithium. It still pops but not as loud.....doesn't bother me since it only happens when opening the door, not like something that squeaks when driving in the drivers rear door (and everything is tight in it)

Back