• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering pump KAPUT

cdnabn49

NAXJA Forum User
well on my way home today I heard some interesting and disturbing sounds coming from under the hood... then smoke - actually steam from coolant... I open the hood... power steering fluid every where... the pulley is lop sided and loose bits of metal on the engine block... wholly crap! 30 minutes on hold with AMA then a 4 hour wait to get the beast towed home... then the fun... I remove the serpentine belt and strongarm the pig into the garage... crap! thats a work out with no power steering... guess I know what I will be doing for the next day or 2...

the hardest part of the replacement is messing w/ the pulley.... pulling it is a bitch, installing it can be a bitch...

if i had to replace mine, and i lived in a rural place like it seems you do... i would just buy a new pulley as well, theyre like $12, and you may have trouble pulling an old, abused PLASTIC pulley...

buy the new pulley and the new pump re-man pumps fail way to often in my experience and every dang time I pull the ps pulley off a old pump it gets messed up even when I have had a machine shop do it for me.

Back