• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Odd Clicking Noise - Name this part?

TwistedFocus

NAXJA Forum User
Since I have owned my XJ I have noticed some fairly pronounced clicking at idle that I eventually passed off as injector noise... but today while I was flushing my heater core (finally I have adaquate heat :spin1:) I noticed the part pictured below is the source of the loud clicking. I assume it ties into the A/C somehow (?), but I don't have the A/C or defrost on and it still clicks most of the time the engine's running.

Does anyone know what this is and if it's supposed to click loudly 90% of the time? I tried searching, but this ones a little odd and I couldn't find anything relevant.
Thanks!

image.aspx

That's the evap purge solenoid. evaporative emissions. Mines clicking too ( a 97)

maybe someone else can explain the clicking.

Mines clicking and won't stop now. maybe I never noticed it before now, but I'm pretty sure it's sticking somehow. I traced the vacuum lines back, they seem intact, clicking stops if I remove the electrical connector, no check engine light yet- what's up with this purge valve?

anyone know where I can get a cheap one. a brief search shows autozone's got one for $45.

Purge solenoid is controlled by PCM...if it goes bad you will get a CEL with a stored code...so, unless the clicking noise is getting real loud and driving you crazy, don't worry about it.

Mine is pretty loud. I have had passengers ask what the ticking sound is. Everything seems to work just fine and I get no codes, I just get annoyed at the sound after a while. I looked at AutoZone's website too and the one they picture is bit different than mine, but I don't think I'm going to replace it anyway if "it aint' broke".

If the general consensus is that it just clicks, then I feel better about it. Thanks for the input guys.

When I first got my '98 I thought it was a lifter.....

I had to take it to a shop to service the A/C and asked the mech about it.

He said don't worry they all make that noise....:dunno:

I'm making the assumption that the clicking is part of the designed function of the device, kind of like a PCV valve. The one on my 2000 has clicked as long as I've owned it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Be happy the noise is NOT from a clattering lifter.

Back