• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing new Brown Dog Motor Mounts

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I just got my new motormounts and want to make sure I've got all the parts I need before I start the install. In reading some online instructions they talk about o'rings PLURAL. Are there more than one? I bought the o'ring SINGULAR that NAPA shows for the filter adapter.
Thanks Gregg

wowowowowowowwooooooooow, I just got a set of Brown Dogs and there's noting in there that mentions Orings of any kind... What are you guys talking about??? Your freaking me out here!!!:huh:

he's talking about the oil filter adapter o-rings. apparently the adapter is in the way of the pass side motor mount bolt on some years. was not the case on my '96, renix years maybe?

Last edited:
If you didn't need the orings for your '96 I may not either...mine is a 95. I'll call them tomorrow to make sure though. Three huh! One between the adapter and the block, where do the others go?

Just went to my shop, I have an O RING Felpro part number 70301. It says on it 1971 - 1990 4.0. The NAPA website showed the same number all the years of 4.0. Anybody know the answer? Will it fit my '95 and do I even need it?

If you didn't need the orings for your '96 I may not either...mine is a 95. I'll call them tomorrow to make sure though. Three huh! One between the adapter and the block, where do the others go?

does your oil filter point backwards towards the starter? if so, you shouldn't need to pull the adapter.

even if you have to pull the oil neck, theres no law that states you gotta replace the o-rings, i'd read that as a recomendation, since you'll be pulling the neck anyway (apparently, renix-95ish only?)

theres 3 o-rings, one where the neck mates to the block, one on the nipple, and one that sits under the nipple head.

i just wait to do motor mounts untill im ALSO leaking oil from the filter neck, by then its a day-long affair!

in all fairness, i think i might try that out this weekend gerr, im not looking foward to messing w/ the oil neck on a stock-and-sagging mj =\

Trust me, I' wait if I could but the fan hits the shroud when I go into reverse!! Terrible noise. I figured if I'm going to change them I might as well put good aftermarket parts in....thus the $100 motor mounts.

i just wait to do motor mounts untill im ALSO leaking oil from the filter neck, by then its a day-long affair!

in all fairness, i think i might try that out this weekend gerr, im not looking foward to messing w/ the oil neck on a stock-and-sagging mj =\

Ive done it on 3 jeeps so far and it has always worked, just make sure to get the new bolt in grade 8 with a nylock nut and you will be golden

Interesting day today as I did the install. Passenger side went slick as could be. However the drivers side wouldn't go together. I called Brown Dog and we kind of problem solved it together. The factory block side mount wasn't machined far enough toward the block and the new rubber mount wouldn't slide in. It seems it is a weird piece. Anyway I ordered the Brown Dog fab'd part to replace it and put the stock mount back on so I could get it out of my shop. When I get the new part and take off the old one I'll take a photo and post it to help anybody else who has a similar factory part.

Interesting day today as I did the install. Passenger side went slick as could be. However the drivers side wouldn't go together. I called Brown Dog and we kind of problem solved it together. The factory block side mount wasn't machined far enough toward the block and the new rubber mount wouldn't slide in. It seems it is a weird piece. Anyway I ordered the Brown Dog fab'd part to replace it and put the stock mount back on so I could get it out of my shop. When I get the new part and take off the old one I'll take a photo and post it to help anybody else who has a similar factory part.

Every person I know who has installed the brown dog mounts has had to grind a bit on that bracket to get it in. :smoker:

gotta love that approach, make a product that doesnt fit the stock brackets, then convieniently sell you a new bracket that DOES?? work.

is the $20-30 worth the frustration?
M.O.R.E for the win... installed 4 sets, never had a problem.

you don't need a new mount...

I had the same problem when I tried to install them on my 95. It took less than 5 minutes with the bench grinder and they fit. Just take off a little material at a time until they go on properly.

Why grind away at the mount when you can trim the excess off of the end of the bushing? That's what I did. Just a tiny bit on each side of the bushing and it fit perfectly.

No problem, no worry, easy modification. Good mounts!

I just got my BD mounts this week.
I'm waiting for all the ducks :laugh3: to line up so I can get them mounted.

Before I ordered them, I called and mentioned what I had read in various places and he assured me that I would not need to grind anything.

Are the mounts too wide to fit between the mounting tabs on the block?
Or is it that the rubber diameter too large to allow them to slip all in towards the engine?

Back