• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5" w/ stock control arms?

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
So i am looking at buying the 5.5 front and rear springs from RE and was wondering if i would have to modify the UAC and LAC (which i really cant afford to do :tears:) or if i could even do it with what i have to work with.

I also was wondering how well the 5.5" or the 4.5" flexes. The terrain around here is very flexy I.E. climbing over root balls then down into eroded water holes. Some rocks too.

Right now i have a 3" budget lift (springs and spacers) with all my extended brake lines STOCK shocks (soon to be replaced) 32's and no fender trimming...

Any input Y'all have would be Excellent!

-PJ-

Yes you will want new arms, at least LCA's. You will also want Drop brackets or Longarms. At that height an SYE is likely. Also you should go with 4.5 or 3.5 (they usually sit higher) leaf springs and shackles.

Get longarms or make them its. I am doing long arms myself using a mounting plate from iron rock also i am using there hack and tap sye with front driveshaft

Thats why you need DB's or LA's.

My stock control arms are warped to all hell on my 3" lift. Flex will own your control arms. So yes, get drop brackets or long arms. Both expensive, and PJ, I don't think you'll want to jump so high with the budget your on...things get really expensive when you go that big unless you have time and know how.

~Scott

4.5" of lift is about as high as you an go before you run into a lot of money in upgrades to make everything work for DD'ing. Like stated RE springs do ride higher then their claimed lift. It took a whole year for my friends to break in plus aftermarket bumpers for his 3.5" RE lift to be close to that.

If you can't afford to buy what else you need at this time you should just save up a bit or if you really need the extra height look into used parts.

Also are you locked front or rear? Because i've taken 31's locked over some stupid stuff... sure it dragged a bit but that is what the bumpers and skids are for.

Thats why you need DB's or LA's.

I need What?

Will long arm lowers fint in all the stock brackets?

What is the biggest lift i could fit without replacing lowers?

Not locked just open/open and i am goin to the junk yard for shocks of a lifted jeep out there...also can i beef up my control arms i have now (box them in)?

-PJ-

Last edited:
I need What?

will long arm lowers fint in all the stock brackets?

What is the biggest lift i could fit without replacing lowers?

-PJ-

Google is your friend...seriously. :doh:

No more than 3" with stock arms IMO...unless you bumpstop a lot and don't flex out often.

~Scott

in short, a 5.5 lift needs long arms, aftermarket short arms AT LEAST!, if you cant afford new short arms, you cant afford a 5.5 lift, so those coils are useless for you.

if you cant afford control arms, you cant afford steering either, so just quit while your still at stock, cause your not gonna be happy with the results of a booty-ass-fab 5.5" lift.

X2 xcm

PJ, so you know, on my 4" bastard lift using a 3" RC lift (spacers front and added XJ main leaf and shackles rear) I've been forced to replace my trackbar (got DW), I opted for a quality RE HD set-up...running $200. I also upgraded to a ZJ tierod, $10...and I already had an aftermarket stabailizer adding to that. And now I need control arms as the stock ones have been bent and are giving me vibes (flex will kill them), thats another $170 for a good adjustable set-up (lowers only). On a larger lift, everything described needs to be replaced, or you'll have an useless XJ sitting in the driveway until you get the funds because you screwed stuff up. Buy a complete 4.5" or 3" kit and be happy, if you can't afford that...save your money.

~Scott

If i were you i would box your current arms, spend some money on armor instead of the lift springs and just get out there and have fun.

Here is some inspiration: re3.5 with 31's. open front welded rear.
rocks.jpg

3" lift, 1" spacers and shackles, rusty's lower control arms and adj. trac bar trimmed for 33's. Welded rear.
202_0323.jpg

Basically there are better ways to spend your money then on some new leafs and coils that will get you over harder obstacles.

Well my 3" "bastard" lift really didn't do much except gave me the clearence to STUFF the fenders with my 32's.Note: lift only took me a total of about 12 hours! ALSO...under any amount of flex my tires catch the fender. What would the RE 3.5 do for me? Will it sit higher?

pjpictures468.jpg

pjpictures492.jpg

pjpictures470.jpg

pjpictures392.jpg

fender trimming is your friend!!!!!!!!!!!

Do that, keep your current height, armor up, and wheel the crap out of it. Like others have said, you'll be able to have plenty of fun at your height. No need to go to 6+ inches lift... ask me how I know haha. Really though, looking back I wish I hadn't rushed as much as I did... Take it slow, just armor up, trim some to allow the tires to stuff, and enjoy your jeep :)

Well my 3" "bastard" lift really didn't do much except gave me the clearence to STUFF the fenders with my 32's.Note: lift only took me a total of about 12 hours! ALSO...under any amount of flex my tires catch the fender. What would the RE 3.5 do for me? Will it sit higher?

pjpictures468.jpg

pjpictures492.jpg

pjpictures470.jpg

pjpictures392.jpg

Weird its raining in WA?:bawl:

Back