• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about Old Man Emu

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know much about the Old Man Emu 2" lift kit? I've searched but it says no matches found. I don't want to lift more than 2" since it is my DD and would rather keep close to a stock on road ride. There are only a few moderate trails around here so I want something that will handle that as well. I was running the 3.5 RE Superflex on my 88' and as happy as I was with it, its not what I need for the trails around here. I know you all will say stick with RE, but the 3.5 actually gave me about 5", and through my driveline angles off. Being a broke college student I couldn't afford an SYE and new driveshaft and I still can't with my new Jeep. I don't want to be replacing u-joints every 2 months like last time.

I have the ome kit on my '01 and really like it. It rides nice, performs well, and looks good too. But...being 17 of course that isn't high enough so i have an RE 3.5" kit waiting to be installed. If you're interested I'll have my kit for sale within a couple weeks but I don't know how shipping would be. PM if you are interested.

88XjLaredo said:
Does anyone know much about the Old Man Emu 2" lift kit? I've searched but it says no matches found. I don't want to lift more than 2" since it is my DD and would rather keep close to a stock on road ride. There are only a few moderate trails around here so I want something that will handle that as well. I was running the 3.5 RE Superflex on my 88' and as happy as I was with it, its not what I need for the trails around here. I know you all will say stick with RE, but the 3.5 actually gave me about 5", and through my driveline angles off. Being a broke college student I couldn't afford an SYE and new driveshaft and I still can't with my new Jeep. I don't want to be replacing u-joints every 2 months like last time.

OME is the what I have on my '97 DD. Money wasn't an issue for me so I went for the best ride, but still wanted offroad-ability.

For only 2" which you will probably want to change eventually, why not just save your money and go with a spacer up front, and a shackle in the back? If not a shackle in the back then maybe an add-a-leaf.

My 2¢

I put the OME hd rears(3") and OME med. fronts(2") then added the TeraFlex 1.5 shaks in the rear and ACOS to level the front, Nitrocharger extended's front and rear. You cannot beat OME's quality, the ride is great, they handle heavy loads excellent and flex fairly well. I highly recommend anything OME.

If you're going to wheel it and just don't wanna go too high, get the Rubicon Express 3.5 (RE6030) and add OME Nitros... GREAT Ride!! If ya break it, you're not out too much $$ :)

I don't want shackles, spacers or AAL's for my lift. I want something that will ride good and flex well off-road. This is one of the few kits I've read about that does both.

xjtrailrider said:
I put the OME hd rears(3") and OME med. fronts(2") then added the TeraFlex 1.5 shaks in the rear and ACOS to level the front, Nitrocharger extended's front and rear. You cannot beat OME's quality, the ride is great, they handle heavy loads excellent and flex fairly well. I highly recommend anything OME.

trailerider: was your front significantly lower than the rear, requiring you to add ACOS in the front? Or were the ACOS just added to even things out once the spackles were added? I guess my question is, with the reg coils in front (2") and the HD leafs in the rear (3"), was the ride height uneven? thanks...I am trying to decide b/w medium duty or HD leafs.

I have an OME lift on my 91 and absolutely love it. Mine is still basically a daily driver and it is my skiing/canoeing/other outdoor pursuit vehicle so handling was definately a concern for me. I used V8 ZJ coils up front w/ a 3/8 spacer and I used the heavy duty rear leafs with an MJ shackle to net around 3" or so with my ARB on the front and the general amount of crap I carry around in back. I have some DPG quicker discos in front and completely removed the one in back and the Jeep still handles great. I have man handled it around the back roads of WV and the Adirondacks with 1-3 canoes on top and the only time I complain is when a CAR gets in my way and slows me down. If you've got the money and want to have a good compromise then I would say go for it because I doubt you'd regret it.

30x9.50 R15 BFG AT KOs
401189_52_full.jpg

401189_56_full.jpg

31x10.50 R15 BFG AT KOs
401189_74_full.jpg

401189_76_full.jpg

401189_77_full.jpg

Hope this helps

Dynorockcg, Yes, way too much rake with the HD rears/1.5" shackles and I have a POS MANIK brush guard on the front that wieghs about 80#'s, so the ACOS was necessary to level it up. I could have gone with longer coils but I really wasn't sure how long, so I took out the guess work. Its sitting about 4 1/4" rear and and 4" front right now. I'm thinking of putting another inch in the rear and then adjusting the front to match.

My big selling point on the ACOS was the ability to raise the front for more lift in the future. I'm running short arm now so I don't want to go much more than 5" lift.
Here is a driveway pic.

96xjsg2.jpg

I got all of my OME shocks and springs from DPG along with their quicker discos and they treated me really well and gave me a good price. I got my OME stearing stabilizer through Rocky Road and have had good service with them as well. Got my Rubicon Express LCAs from Rawbrown and don't have a bit to complain about the price I got or the service I received. MJ shackles, Just check your local junkyard.

dynorockcg said:
I have talked with dirk at DPG also. He seems like a great guy. I haven't pulled the trigger yet...
X2 :thumbup:

I have the full on OME suspention on my ThumperXJ as well, coupled with RE shackles and spring spacers. This combination gives me four inches straight, front and rear. I also utilized the JCXL leaf for the rear, because I tow. EXCELLENT frickin setup, on AND offroad, loaded up or empty! Even my steering damper is OME. I too highly recommend OME.

What is better for a DD, the dpg OME hybrid in 2'' or 3'', most likely 3'', or a RE 3.5'' superflex, am a bit nervous about this since people say they net 5''. What do you guys recommend? Should you almost always go with an adjustable trackbar, and lcas (or only if you intend on more lift). Sorry for the noob thread jack, just didn't want to start another thread.
Thank you,
Stephen

DPG informed me that adjustable trackbar may or may not be needed, and unfortunately, every XJ is different, as far as front axle shifting and driveline vibes. Also the need for adjust. track bar depends on if the axle was centered from the factory.

The OME 2" leafs and 3" leafs are different. The 3" has slightly different arch and the coils are the same in either the 2" or 3" kit.

I am trying to make some of the same decisions...2-3" and adjust track bar or not...

You will want a trac bar to center the axle. Mine even with a BB was off by 7/8", so when I went higher I spent the money. I've got the Currie adj. trac bar/adj. LCA's/Jeep Speed chassis stiffeners. Since I had bad driveline vibes with the BB, I put on a AA SYE and a Tom Woods shaft.

I too just finished putting on a full ome kit from dpg. good service from a good guy.
I used the 930 cherokee coils instead of the ZJ coils to keep the ride soft(er). I don't plan on needing to winch myself out of the grocery store parking lot anytime soon, so I didn't go with coils rated for a winch/bumper. That may change in the future, though.

I used the medium 3" cso34ra? leaf pack, which I think is the new number for the jcx1a.
The front coils are rated for 2", and the leafs for 3". so their 3" kit comes with 1 inch spacers. I wanted a bit more height out of it, so I ordered it with the 2" spacers and extended length shocks. Dirk thought I might need 1" shackles, from an MJ or something, ( and was concerned about my bumpstoppage), but when I put the lift on, I left out the stock rubber spacer so that I was not too high in front. Well, after getting it on, I felt it was not as high as expected, (overall), so I ripped the front back off to throw the stock spacer back in. This brought up the front 3/4", and did level it out just a tad. I am running a Manik brush guard though-

At first, I thought the ride was very firm, but after a couple days of driving I think it's getting better. I had to buy seperate YJ brake lines, RE Ubolts, bumpstops after I figure out if I need them, etc. The little things add up. I kinda wish I had gone with the RE 3.5 kit, because of all the little things it comes with, incl., lower control ams, track bar, etc. BUT can't know for sure til I ride in one with that kit.
I went with the JKS trackbar and it looks like a quality unit, like the disconnects. I thought I might need to get lower control arms as well, but after getting the alignment, everything is right on the money. I will probably put on the tubular arms from a wrangler though, because the stock arms rub at full lock, and definitely limit down travel. Some guys on here don't like the RE adj. control arms, but I haven't read one thread from a person not liking anything from JKS. I like the design of their control arms over the RE's anyway.

I have a saying-"Buy the best because it only hurts once" (Just get the best price)

For a DD, you may want to go to the other end of the spectrum, and just do a quality BB getting 2". Stock spring rates & ride quality- for about $100

soarhead25,what shocks are you using and what size tires.I am about to order the same front and rear springs as you did with the N35and N36 shocks,no extra spacers or dif. shackles.

Back