• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One-way drive shaft or differential?

CharlieMopps

NAXJA Forum User
So, I've been contemplating how I'm going to go about my axles issues (what kind of axles, lockers, gear ratio I want) and a lot of the issues I'm concerned about with the front locker would be resolve with something I used when I was a kid and raced Remote control cars.

We'd have these pan-cars with 4WD that cornered incredibly well while under acceleration, but as soon as you'd let off the gas the drag of the electric motor would send the car skidding. The solution was to either put in a 1-way differential, or 1-way drive shafts off the differential. So the differential action only would happen while under drive, otherwise the wheels would spin freely as if not even connected to the drive shaft.

My father uses something similar on his tractor to prevent his brush hog from turning the wheels when he's trying to slow down.

Has anyone heard of this type of thing being used on a 4x4 before?

I'm not saying I really want to do this, Just wondering if it's ever been done.

It would be dangerous and probably not legal. You'd have no way to "slow down" other than hitting the brakes.

... how would this resolve ANY front locker issue?

no no, I'm not saying to put it in the rear. That would be a terrible idea. I was talking about the front diff only.

So, the only downside would be that you would not have 4WD in reverse. Which would be a rather large downside depending on your application.

The issue I was thinking of was that you shouldn't have an auto-locker in the front because it could lock during breaking if you have a non-disconnect axle (which I have). Aussies website, for example, warns never to put one of their lockers in a front diff with full time 4wd.

A cheaper solution would be simply to have hub disconnects... I was just wondering if 1way differentials had ever been used.

I did some more searches and found that they do seem to be used, but more for 4WD race cars, like rally cars and the such. Which would make sense.

autolockers during braking aren't a concern.

Aussie says not to put one in a FULL TIME FOUR WHEEL DRIVE because when in four wheel drive on pavement, you won't be able to turn.

Do you run 4 wheel drive on pavement?

does snow covered pavement count?

And, I thought that breaking was always an issue with an auto-locker? Because if 1 caliper grips before the other the diff will lock, sending you into a skid.

does snow covered pavement count?

And, I thought that breaking was always an issue with an auto-locker? Because if 1 caliper grips before the other the diff will lock, sending you into a skid.

Not unless there is torque applied by the driveshaft.

if in 2WD, will it ratchet while turning? Perhaps this is the solution to my problem.

yes. in 2 wheel drive it ratches while turning.

In four wheel drive it ratches while turning as long as you aren't touching the gas.

Just for the fun,they do make these for the driveshaft(High HP rated)!!

Heres some pics of one type.
Drivedog

Back