• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someone explain the operation of the 242?

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
Since its all snowy and cruddy outside, I'm actually finding the need for 4wd off the trail. I've only previously owned heeps with the 231 case, but now have the 242 case.

How does the full time feature work? I'm familiar with the viscous coupling on the 249, but the 242 doesn't have that.

Are all wheels getting power all the time? If not, how quickly does the transfer case react to slippage and transfer power front to back?

I really hate not understanding how things function...

Full time on the 242 sends power to the front and the rear through a diff in the transfer case so you can have 4wd even in high traction situations. Not sure about slippage front to rear, but you have an open diff at each end, and an open diff in the middle.

Full time on the 242 sends power to the front and the rear through a diff in the transfer case so you can have 4wd even in high traction situations. Not sure about slippage front to rear, but you have an open diff at each end, and an open diff in the middle.
It works front to back like a open diff does side to side. get the front tires very stuck and buried,just the rears will spin and vise versa. pull a driveshaft and your not going anywheres.

In full time, any one tire can spin. In part time with it locked front to rear, at least one front and one rear have to spin together. So theoretically part time is better not to get stuck.

It works front to back like a open diff does side to side.

exactly. planetary gears in the transfer case send power to both front and rear while still allowing for the difference in tire speeds during turns.

Lotsa good info, I always wondered how it worked too. After making a long highway trip in less than ideal conditions lately I really got to love the full-time feature of my 242, it was sure nice to not have to switch between 2hi/4hi every time the road conditions changed. Plus, I only averaged 2.5 MPG less with the case in full time...a pretty low price to pay considering the extra security it gave me.

Not exactly addressing the post, but I guess driveabilty is also an issue. In part time, most any 4X has a tendency to push, that is when you turn the wheel, it still wants to go straight ahead. Which requires a different driving style, at coast or deceleration it gets worse. You often have to gas it a little (being careful not to over do it, in the loose or slick stuff) to get the vehicle to turn anytime soon.
Full time, still gives you "some" traction advantage, but does reduce the tendency to push, somewhat. It can actually enhance traction in certain instances, as the tendency to drag a tire during a turn is reduced.
Wagner the guy who is credited with developing the original design for this and other types of transfers is considered a genius and differential mechanics is it's own branch of physics.

Of, so if it's an open differential essentially, then at any given time the wheel with the least amount of traction gets the most amount of power, otherwise all wheels have power, correct?

I'm still not sure if I like the idea of not "locking it in" 4WD (thats one reason I've never cared for the ZJs with the all time 4WD). Also, if all four tires had equal traction, you could still do some front end damage during hard turns, right?

A transfercase doesn't engage any of the wheels, it engages the driveshafts. The axles determine which wheel turns when force is applied to the pinion.

2WD has the rear driveshaft engaged, and the front driveshaft is disconnected from the powertrain. The axle will decide which of the wheels gets power--if open diff then power transfers between the two wheels according to whichever wheel is spinning faster, if locked then both wheels get power, if LSD then one wheel gets power until it spins too fast and then both wheels get power.

Full-Time 4WD is essentially the same as an open diff on an axle, in that power is transferred between the front or rear driveshaft according to whichever one is spinning faster. The 242 has a slight bias to the rear axle (about 5% as I recall) so that driving straight the rear axle gets power. When you go around a turn though, the outside front wheel travels a larger arc than the inside rear wheel, so it spins fastest--as a result the axle spins that shaft faster, and the transfercase moves power to the front driveshaft. In FT 4WD you only ever have one wheel under power (again, assuming open diffs on the axle). The more common term for this mode is all-wheel drive, but the technically accurate term is any wheel drive.

Part-Time 4WD locks the driveshafts together. The front and rear axles must spin at the same rate. If you go around a turn, the faster wheel on the outside front will want to spin faster than the inside rear wheel, so something somewhere has to give.

Part-Time is really only good for loose conditions, ie gravel and dirt. It is not good for slippery conditions, since you are constantly breaking surface and might not get it back. If you get stuck in 2WD or AWD (spinning) then yeah put it in PT4WD and drag yourself out, otherwise use one of the other modes.

A transfercase doesn't engage any of the wheels, it engages the driveshafts. The axles determine which wheel turns when force is applied to the pinion.

2WD has the rear driveshaft engaged, and the front driveshaft is disconnected from the powertrain. The axle will decide which of the wheels gets power--if open diff then power transfers between the two wheels according to whichever wheel is spinning faster, if locked then both wheels get power, if LSD then one wheel gets power until it spins too fast and then both wheels get power.

Full-Time 4WD is essentially the same as an open diff on an axle, in that power is transferred between the front or rear driveshaft according to whichever one is spinning faster. The 242 has a slight bias to the rear axle (about 5% as I recall) so that driving straight the rear axle gets power. When you go around a turn though, the outside front wheel travels a larger arc than the inside rear wheel, so it spins fastest--as a result the axle spins that shaft faster, and the transfercase moves power to the front driveshaft. In FT 4WD you only ever have one wheel under power (again, assuming open diffs on the axle). The more common term for this mode is all-wheel drive, but the technically accurate term is any wheel drive.

Part-Time 4WD locks the driveshafts together. The front and rear axles must spin at the same rate. If you go around a turn, the faster wheel on the outside front will want to spin faster than the inside rear wheel, so something somewhere has to give.

Part-Time is really only good for loose conditions, ie gravel and dirt. It is not good for slippery conditions, since you are constantly breaking surface and might not get it back. If you get stuck in 2WD or AWD (spinning) then yeah put it in PT4WD and drag yourself out, otherwise use one of the other modes.

:yelclap:

we all know that PT 4wd should not be driven on dry roads.

for me, the most important purpose for a 242 is that FT 4wd obviates the need to shift between 2wd and PT 4wd in changing road conditions, such as when the DOT has cleared some snowy roads before others.

Very detailed. nice write up there.

I have the 231 and i have to deal with icy highways. Driving it in 2wd on the highway would make sense since you're going a constant speed, but when you come around the corners, it tends to slip out. It seems like driving it in Part-time Isn't good at all on the highway, but it makes me feel safer.
Is it ok to drive it on an icy highway(mostly paved though, but it gets so cold its iced over) or is that slowly ruining my t-case?

Back