• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head lights?

tone

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where to get a head light wiring harness for a 97+. When I drive at night the head lights work for about 20mins and it seems that the head light wiring harness over heats cause it stinks like crap then the lights start flashing/go out. I took the harness out about 3 months ago and it was all melted so I sanded off the plastic that was melted and pluged it back in and havent had a problem since now... Maybe the contacts on the light switch are going bad? I have no clue, any help would be sweet. Thanks!

most of the wiring harness's mentioned on this site are the piggyback type, they use your existing wiring to trigger a new relay, funnelling power thru new over sized wires....

obviously, one of these harnesses wont help you, just so you know...

What size bulbs? Anything more than 55/60 and you need to go to an aftermarket harness or build your own from 10g or 12g wire with relays.

What size bulbs? Anything more than 55/60 and you need to go to an aftermarket harness or build your own from 10g or 12g wire with relays.

Do you guys recommend any particular aftermarket Harness?
My XJs headlights work, But compared to the lights on my DD it seems very dim & I see a Headlight upgrade in my near future!

Do you guys recommend any particular aftermarket Harness?
My XJs headlights work, But compared to the lights on my DD it seems very dim & I see a Headlight upgrade in my near future!
shoot a PM to Jon Kelley (5-90) he has an excellent harness that he produces to take care of the XJs weak and undersized stock wiring :cheers:

most of the wiring harness's mentioned on this site are the piggyback type, they use your existing wiring to trigger a new relay, funnelling power thru new over sized wires....

obviously, one of these harnesses wont help you, just so you know...

Actually...If he cleans up his connection and uses them, that would be a solution. No current through his factory harness would eliminate the overheating wire issue.

Might search over in Tech section and you can probably find out what everyone else has done.

So pretty much cut the old harnesses off (the melted plastic) and re-wire it to a new one is what its gonna come down to?

were you using upgraded bulbs before? im no 5-90, but its difficult to recommend you build on top of wiring thats ALLREADY failed... at least untill you know why it failed...

you'd really only be using the stock wiring to fire a relay, so i dont know how critical it is to fix that problem first... but fire sucks, so investigate why it melted the wire first!

Dude, you need to replace your stock wiring. Obviously there was a short somewhere that burned up the wiring. Like XCM said you should get the harness replaced as the piggy back harness won't help. You need an experienced wiring troubleshooter to find where the stock harness shorted and replace it from there on. I can make you up a schematic for how to wire it up with relays if you like.

Back