• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of carb is on a 2.5L 1986 XJ?

Cordtus

NAXJA Forum User
My carb died and I can't find out what kind it is to order a rebuilt one or anything like that...it's a 1986 Cherokee with the AMC 2.5L, there are numbers on a small metal tag on the carb that read:
D1751
8300L

and on the top plate when you remove the intake hose it says 6RP8953002851

any help at all is appreciated. thanks.

No insult intended, but are you sure you don't have throttle body injection? With a carb you will have an air cleaner atop the carb, not an intake hose. Generally speaking, 86 2.5s came with TBI although I don't know if some early models still had the carb. Others may know this for sure offhand.

In any event, if applicable, the carb is a Carter YFA.

Get back with details as to what happened and we can offer some thoughts.

Yeah I looked up the VIN and it says I should have EFI too so I'm confused as to why I have a carb. An air cleaner would be too large to fit so I assume that's why it's hooked up this way.(with a hose to an airbox near the front)
I'll take a picture of the whole works tomorrow and maybe it will help. Will check out the Carter YFA in the meantime though thank you.

I don't think it's a Carter YFA because I just looked at a couple pictures and mine looks really different....I'll go out and get as good a pic as I can in the dark right now.

100_3168.jpg

100_3167.jpg

100_3166.jpg

Last edited:
Trust me, you are not the first person who has posted regarding their 85/86 XJ and been wrong about whether they had a carb or throttle body injection. I lived with an 85 2.5 for some 23 years and sort of went through the wars with the whole subject.

Let us know your symptoms and I am sure someone can help.

Well it was working perfectly fine yesterday (when I say fine I mean somehow still running decently with 265K) until the alternator died and I had to run it all the way home on battery power until it just died out right as I slowed down on the highway to turn into town (bad..no lights at night time in the middle of the highway lol) luckily I got a quick tow into town..
so i left it on my street overnight and charged the battery as it was totally dead, go outside to start it this morning and nothing.....there is fuel being pumped to the line going into the fuel body but it wont start unless i dump gas right into the TB.

i just dont understand how that could have broken it.... it was doing fine last night even running with no power!

also i couldnt push the gas past like 1/2 last night, every time i would try to accelerate it would just backfire or something and the back wheels would lock up for like 1/2 a second

i have no idea whats wrong with it now lol. im thinking maybe a dead injector but how could that have broken it?

Last edited:
anyone have a clue what could be going on here? i mean obviously no fuel is getting into the intake but howcome it was working fine until the battery died?

If you had a backfire, remove the injector and clean the nose. Common enough on TBI for a backfire to crap up the nozzle on the injector and clog it with soot and carbon.

Carburettor cleaner or acetone and a toothbrush has usually been enough for me. Make sure there's not a gasket you need when you put the injector back in - if there is, get it before you start.

Back