• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pics of projects in progress (cargo area, console and lower door panels)

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

Figured I would post pics of recent projects I have been working on for the hell of it.....maybe give some of you more ideas.

Cargo rack: I took an old futon (japanese for "Shitty Sleep") and used the two halves that fold down to make a "mountaineer rack".

cargorack1.jpg

Here is a pic after it is fitted into the rear cargo area, I still have to secure it with a piece of 5" rise x 2" angle iron or aluminum.

cargorack2.jpg

Here is a pic of my center console project.......took an ammo box and converted into a "lock box":

centerconsole4.jpg

Here is a pic with it closed, I have to finish trimming it out. I think I will use weather stripping or maybe rubber window trim....

centerconsole3.jpg

Had to make sure it cleared the parking break and all that......

Here is a pic of recently duplicolor bedlinered lower door panels with pinstrippin to make a clean edge:

bedlinerlowerrockers.jpg

Wow great idea on that cargo rack! Did it really fit the width that perfectly?

pretty close, I had to cut about a 6" section out of each piece and then weld them back together after I inserted another piece of smaller diameter pipe into each end and pushed them together so I had some "backing" to weld to in the joint. I then bondo'd it and painted it.

Love the Ammo can!! Bad Ass!! did you say that it locked?

Yeah, I plan to weld on a reciever hitch pin or something of that size and cross drill a hole through it so it will fit a padlock on it, just in case I want to lock it up for some reason. The hole is already there in the lockdown so all I really need to do it weld a short piece of solid tube so when it locks down it goes through the handle.

Hey,

Figured I would post pics of recent projects I have been working on for the hell of it.....maybe give some of you more ideas.

Cargo rack: I took an old futon (japanese for "Shitty Sleep") and used the two halves that fold down to make a "mountaineer rack".

cargorack1.jpg

Here is a pic after it is fitted into the rear cargo area, I still have to secure it with a piece of 5" rise x 2" angle iron or aluminum.

cargorack2.jpg

Here is a pic of my center console project.......took an ammo box and converted into a "lock box":

centerconsole4.jpg

Here is a pic with it closed, I have to finish trimming it out. I think I will use weather stripping or maybe rubber window trim....

centerconsole3.jpg

Had to make sure it cleared the parking break and all that......

Here is a pic of recently duplicolor bedlinered lower door panels with pinstrippin to make a clean edge:

bedlinerlowerrockers.jpg

What prep work did you have to do for the duplicolor bedliner spray. I've been thinking of doing this for some time now. Looks good.

What prep work did you have to do for the duplicolor bedliner spray. I've been thinking of doing this for some time now. Looks good.

I basically cleaned it really well with hot sopa and water then dried it. After that I sanded it with 100 grit to dull it up but not too far down through the paint and then cleaned it again with acetone. Once it was thoroughly dried, I taped it off and sprayed two coats on, waited about an hour and topcoated while still tacky with rustoleum satin black. After that was dried for 24 hours I lined it with black pinstripping to make a clean factory like edge.

thanks for all the replies and compliments!

Hey xj surf, I noticed you have BFG A/T's. what is your lift and tire size.
is that 4" lift with 32x10.5x15 or 3" with 31x10.5.15?

Back