• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goofy 242 TC case issue????

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,
Happy New Year to all.....

So, on this 1989 XJ I am working on, I had a strange drive today....

A little background, I have a 1989 XJ, 4.0 that had a 231 that the previous owner drove around dry, so I replaced it with a 242, a couple of months ago. I actually had a shop install it, ($125) since I didn't have a lift and I was lazy ;-)

I drove around for about 100 miles or so, and shifted in and out of 4WD, all seemed fine. I have been working on the interior for the past month, and have not driven the thing for awhile ( still have my 90 XJ). It has been cold, ton of snow, etc here in Oregon. I thought today I would drive it.

After a slow startup, I let the thing warm up for about 10 minutes, and headed out. The roads are icy and snow cover,Put it into 4wd full time as I pulled out of my drive way and headed out. About four miles into the drive, I get a strange sound (kinda of a spinning sound) and loose power! The jeep was out of gear, and had to put it into 4WD part time, and it went back into gear. Dropped it into 2wd, and it worked fine ( I did check 4WD low, it works fine) . Got to work, and went to work. So, as I head home, I drop it into 4wd and hear a loud thunk! But it goes into gear, try 4wd full time, and no drive, switch back to 4wd part time, load thunk! I go back to 2wd and it works fine. So I drive home and when I pull into my drive way, I thought I would check it out again. Everything seems to work fine, with no loud noises, or failure of drive. I did check on my icy driveway to make sure the 4wd works, and I can spin tires in the front and rear...... Figures right?

So, now what should I do? Is something loose? Did the cold icy weather cause this? Is there a alignment that can cause the 4wd full time not to engage, but 4wd part time work?

Any advice would be appreciated before I start looking for something....

Thanks in advance.....

Enjoy,
Bob

My 231 will do that occasionally, mainly due to the fact that I swapped in ZJ handles and haven't perfectly adjusted the transfer case shift linkage yet....last I tried the rod was seized.

When you had the 242 swapped in did you swap the matching shift gate plate as well? Also you might want to just readjust the tcase linkage again and see how it does.

Thanks for the response, Yes, I did change out the shifter gate with a gate from another Jeep XJ.

It just seems strange that it will go out of gear in Full Time, even stranger that it is working fine now..........

RG

double check the adjustment, seems very odd you had problems in fulltime rather than part time. my pos 242 pops out of partime high and low all the time and I lose drive to the front but fulltime always works. I'm installing a 231 tommarow. I cant wait to get rid of the np242

XJMAN,

When you say "rigging", are you referring to the rod and link for the shifter lever?

As far as the transfer case, I got it used, but was not giving any indications of issues until yesterdays drive. It seems strange that it would fall out of drive in full time, and work fine in all the other positions.

I think I might change the fluid today, and see if something was floating around in the case.

Thanks,
Bob

XJMAN,

When you say "rigging", are you referring to the rod and link for the shifter lever?

There is a certain way to adjust the links. When in 4x4L or 2H the shifter should not be touching the ends of the gate. You need 1/8" gap between shifter and gate in the 4x4L position. It seems to me that your problem is that it gets out of 4x4FT in to neutral. Bad link adjustment might be the problem. I removed the 231s out of two XJs and installed 242s and adjusted them with the 1/8" gap in the 4 low and both have been working perfectly for a few years now. One thing I found is that the FT position is the best for every condition because the Jeep drives so much better. Unless I get in some extreme condition in which case I go to PT until I get out of it. Sometimes they get a little tricky shifting in and out. I also own a WJ that came with the 242 and it behaves the same way. All three are in FT most of the time.

If anybody would like to donate me a 242 I'll take it :)

Since there's so much crap-talk about the 242's and "sense" of people wanting to rid them....
I've got a good one, a parts one and one that grinds, I'm washing my hands of these 242's

I've got a good one, a parts one and one that grinds, I'm washing my hands of these 242's
I love them as long as your not wheelin' with them, but as a DD they are the best choice in my area.

Thanks for the input, as I will get the fluid changed and check the alignment.

I like the 242 for a daily driver, my 1990 has the 231 and it works, but my other Jeeps have had a 242 and I enjoy the option. My WJ has a 242 and it works great.

Thanks for the advice,
Bob

Back