• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Woman Killed Her!

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
I need some help guys...

Recently, my '93 was rear-ended by some old lady with a walker. It seems that both frame rails were compressed and bent down slightly right in between the front and back leaf spring mounts.

I was told that it was totalled. Now I'm looking into getting a new one.

From searching, it seems that all my parts from my '93 are interchangable up to a '96. So, I'm planning on getting a '96 Cherokee.

Now is there anything else that you guys think would not be able to be interchanged? This is including the entire drive train (for spare parts) and suspension, b/c everything has been rebuilt or new.

There is one thing that I'm confused about. Will my AA SYE be able to be transferred to the '96 transfer case?

Also, I have welded in boxed rockers, and im planing on cutting them out and putting them on the new jeep.
Are the rockers on the '96 the same size and length as the '93 ?

1 more thing guys, right now my insurance agent is out of town.

Do you guys think that they will still give me the blue book value on it if I pull everything off my old jeep?

Thanks guys,
Chris

You'll definitely want to discuss the buy-back option with your agent to be sure you get the better end of the deal. You don't want to pull everything off the XJ and cut the rockers out before then - they'll see a stripped P.O.S. and give you nuthin for it. Don't be surprised if they de-value the XJ because it was used off road and consider the body modified because of the weld in rockers.

Shouldn't be anything different between the '93 to the '96 that you need to be concerned about unless the transmissions are different. (Spline count) but I'd just swap out the entire t-case instead of removing the AA SYE.

You may have some ABS issues to consider with the '96 if you're swapping out the axles from the '93, but from what I've read here, it's not a big deal.

I sawpped everything from my totalled '90 over to my '97.Bumpers and rocksliders were homebrew items but none the less they swapped over just fine.Your SYE should swap over just fine.What we did with mine (AA SYE) was just swapped the SYE and rear half of the t-case as an assembled unit over to my new t-case and it worked flawlessly.All suspension components (that survived the wreck) and rear axle (D44) swapped over without any problems.

You'll probably have to fight a little with the insurance company to get a fair valuation for your Jeep.As far as buy back goes mine was $700 just to give you an idea.

I know a friend that totaled his jeep. he wanted to keep it for his axles and stuff, he was offered x amount fo the jeep or he keeps it. one or trhe other.

So far thanks guys

For the buy back value?

Does the insurance company set the price, or does the junk yard?

Or do they set it on scrap metal value?

It seems the insurance company is vary nice, they told me that the car it self was worth 3k, and plus they said if i get all the reseats for all the $ i put into it, and they will compensate me on some of it .

But if i do that, with it not increase the buy back value?

No matter what i want my jeep back for all the parts!

Basically everything but the body and axles are new, or rebuilt
(engine, trans, dr shafts, gas tank, suspension, and everything under the hood)

Chris

C85D4x4 said:
Recently, my '93 was rear-ended by some old lady with a walker.

That's a whole lot of damage from a walker!

Guardian%207749.jpg

When I rolled my 96 in June, I got the cost of buying a similar vehicle (not necessarily KBB). Then the buyback was only $500, which is based on how much the insurance company could have gotten by scrapping it.

And i just swapped over my SYE-equipped TC from the 96 over to the 98.

If you do do the buyback, Instead of swapping stuff over, it sounds like an excellent candidate to get back-halved with a quarter elliptic.

as far as buy-back goes: i had a lifted 93 silverado. it got stolen and stripped. insur company totaled it out and said it was worth $7500. they said i could buy it for a grand. so i bought it back and they just took a grand off the $7500. so i got $6500. then i sold it for $3500. totaling $10,000. when i first bought it i only paid $5600. kinda off subject but you should be able to get it cheap.

I was rear ended in June by a Dodge Durango and my 96 sport was totalled by the insurance folk. Even though I had put a lot into her, most of it was just to get her into good shape which is what the insurance company expects the vehicle to be in for evaluation. Physical extras, like better rims, grill guards, roof racks, radio, etc will add to the package (value) but not as much as you would expect. And if there was a salvage title anywhere in your vehicles history, don't expect to get market value regardless of what you did to her to get her back into great shape. Insurance companies today pay outside contractors to determine a salvage value for totalled cars...probably takes the heat off them somewhat...and i was told my XJ would fall in the 400 to 7oo range if I chose to buyback. My insurance company also was good enough to sell it back to me for $400(lowest amount). Since my XJ had only 120K, burned no oil, ran like new , got 21mpg and had a mint interior, I jumped on the buyback and am fixing it up with salvage parts. Should be back on the road in a month after inspections, new titles and all. Really had fun figuring out the wiring for replacing the lift hatch since I replaced my 96 with a 91 door and transferred my window washer and extra brake light parts. I figure I will have put a grand into repairing it myself once I find a good drivers seat. Owning an XJ is an ongoing learning experience...like Continuing Education in automotive mechanics without the certificate.

Totals work like this:

We get a total value from fair market, meaning what they're selling for in your area, then we call an auction company and get a bid for the salvage. That bid amount is what is subtracted from your vehicle valuation if you want to owner retain it.

When you say removing the drivetrain do you mean you want to keep axles and such? The insurance company will want a complete vehicle, you can pull off bolt ons no problem assuming you have the stock parts.

Back