• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Offset axle in the rear

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Would it be an issue running an offset rear? About 2 3/4 inches offset. I for get which sides its offset to tho. Would that be an issue with my rear driveshaft?

I'll throw out an opinion:greensmok:
My '88 engine is off-set to the passenger side ~1.5inches. This means my transfer case output shaft is also offset the same, as is the drive shaft:D.
If the 2000 is the same as my '88, a rear diff off-set 2.75 inches to the driver's side probably won't cause a problem; especially if you are running a stock rear drive shaft.
My rear diff's pinion is also off-set to the drivers side ~1.5 inches ('XJ D44).
Theoretically, you may have vibration if you're running a "constant velocity" (VC) drive shaft (double Cardin front u-joint). On a VC shaft, the differential-end u-joint should set close to a "0" angle with regard to a line drawn parellel with the pinion shaft and the drive shaft. With the diff pinion in line with the transfer case output shaft, you adjust the pinion/drive shaft u-joint angle with shims to get the correct angle; you're only dealing with a vertical alignment error in this case. If the pinion is off set with regard to the transfer case output shaft, meaning the rear drive shaft must angle horizontally to the rear pinion, the only way to get the horizontal misalignment correct is to move the axle side-to-side; something you don't want to do if the axle is already centered under your Jeep.

I may center the diff. It is a 60U from an E350 Van. Offset 2.75 inches, im going to narrow one side and use the short side shaft on both sides. I can always swap in 70 shafts later for the 35 spline. Disk brakes too

Of course i could just run it and ry and break it. 1.37" 32 spline shafts from the factory. 70 shafts bolt right in too down the road IF i break it:shocked:

I noticed today that my stock 8.25 on my 2001 is about 1 inch to the left.

No accidents.

Why?

I would like to be able to run equal length shafts in it as one of them is longer by that 2.75. I just dont know how far offset the pinion is yet. Same shafts mean one spare, but i dont think ill break em on 35's or 36's

Back