• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's play a game!

RenegadeStang

NAXJA Forum User
It's called "What part is this?". It's mounted to the firewall, it's on a '98 4.0L and has an evap line running to it (I know this because the green cap beside it is an Evap Service Port). I need to know because it's ticking, and the ticking changes with engine rpm. Good, bad, normal?

0102091804.jpg

0102091803a.jpg

Well, I got really smart for a second and remembered that I have the emissions diagram sticker under the hood. Took a look and it's the Duty Cycle Purge Solenoid. Any guesses on the ticking?

Does it stop ticking? Like when the engine warms up?

I don't know, just throwing things out there.

Currently I'm not sure. I haven't noticed it before. My XJ has been having electrical difficulties as of late (I'm thinking it's the battery cables, so replacing those and grounding cables tomorrow). The engine did get to about operating temp before I shut it off, and it was still ticking.

Did some Search Research on here, turns out 6 say it's ok and 1/2 a dozen say it's not. Who's right?

Currently I'm not sure. I haven't noticed it before. My XJ has been having electrical difficulties as of late (I'm thinking it's the battery cables, so replacing those and grounding cables tomorrow). The engine did get to about operating temp before I shut it off, and it was still ticking.

Did some Search Research on here, turns out 6 say it's ok and 1/2 a dozen say it's not. Who's right?

Let's play this game! It's just like "Pin the Tail on the Donkey", but it's called "Put the Part on the Jeep". Sorry, but one of my pet peeves is people replacing parts that have not been proven bad. Just think of all the money wasted replacing good parts and putting them into landfills. And 3/4 of the time the parts are good and are being replaced by China crap. Please consider disconnecting the battery cables and grounds, cleaning them with Scotchbrite or sandpaper and reinstalling them, unless you see other issues like breaks in the wire.

OK, now that I flamed you (sorry again), I'll try to help. I looked in the 2000 FSM. This solenoid pumps the fumes from the fuel system charcoal cannister into the intake manifold 5 to 10 times per second when the motor is in the closed loop cycle. This is an emissions thing to purge the cannister. The signal comes from the PCM. So -- my vote is that it's OK as long as it stops when the key is off.

Purge Valve! Yes, it will make a ticking noise while your rig is running.

My 97 was doing exactly the same thing and i didnt have a clue what it was. You could even feel the vibration of the ticking if you touched it. Well mines somehow just stopped doing it!!!
It ran fine when it was doing it and now its gone its still running fine.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I hadn't received any codes (which I figured if something were wrong, and with this being the evap system, I'd get a code), just wanted to make sure everything is hunky-dory.

Let's play this game! It's just like "Pin the Tail on the Donkey", but it's called "Put the Part on the Jeep". Sorry, but one of my pet peeves is people replacing parts that have not been proven bad. Just think of all the money wasted replacing good parts and putting them into landfills. And 3/4 of the time the parts are good and are being replaced by China crap. Please consider disconnecting the battery cables and grounds, cleaning them with Scotchbrite or sandpaper and reinstalling them, unless you see other issues like breaks in the wire.

I have a dream of one day installing a 5.9L alternator along with other electrical gadgetery, so to go ahead and eliminate anything being wrong with the battery cables, I'm replacing as well as upgrading at the same time. I'm installing 4 ga. cable as well as replacing the battery terminals.

Back