• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Built a subwoofer/gear storage cabinet for the back of the XJ...

Achmed

NAXJA Forum User
I woke up today and decided to work on the cargo area of the XJ. I drew up schematics and headed off to Lowes. I wanted to add another subwoofer and didnt really have the room with my current setup so I built a 3/4" MDF cabinet. On the top are (2) 12" subs. On the right is the amp and on the bottom is a flip down door with all my storage for gear. The cabinet is divided top from bottom inside so that the subwoofers have exactly the right amount of cubic air volume. The cabinet is bolted to the body and would take an act of God to remove it woithout unbolting it. I even left room on the left for my C02 setup and will be using N20 bottle brackets to bolt it to the side of the cabinet when I get it back from Trevor.

I will be carpeting it with something close to the OEM color next week.

Total cost: $35.00

DSC_0961.jpg

DSC_0962.jpg

DSC_0966.jpg

DSC_0967.jpg

DSC_0968.jpg

Decided to go ahead and carpet it today.

DSC_0970.jpg

Last edited:
Super nice work!!!

Actually, I have a 20lb C02 setup that will mount vertically on the left side of the box to fill the gap between the box and the drivers side wheel well hump. I'm hoping to find some billet aluminum 20lb bottle brackets to make it look nice.

The tow strap is in the black case with the "KO" on it. ;) Actually, I have a tree saver also. There is also spare U-joints, full set of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" sockets, hand tools and more. The little box is deceiving. :D

How do you have that bolted down? It probably weights about 80lbs. MDF is very dense and heavy. The sheet metal on the floor will not hold up well in a roll over. How can you see out the back window? Oh and by the way is that a bottle of Crown Royal 750ml 80prf in the right corner?

Actually, the amp is fine mounted on the side. See I needed a certain amount of gearbox space, needed the right amount of airspace for the subs and needed room on the left of the box so I can put my 20lb C02 setup. I really couldnt have made it shorter. Really, it doesn't skew my vision.

How do you have that bolted down? It probably weights about 80lbs. MDF is very dense and heavy. The sheet metal on the floor will not hold up well in a roll over. How can you see out the back window? Oh and by the way is that a bottle of Crown Royal 750ml 80prf in the right corner?
I have it bolted to the body with 8 bolts. Trust me, it isnt going anywhere if I roll over. It's built in a very structurally sound fashion with glue, screws, corner bracing, etc. I'm not some shady carpenter who doesn't understand the logistics and physics of structure. I have built garages, barns, additions, walls, etc. I have a little knowledge and wisdom at 36 years old. ;) And yes, that was a bottle of Crown I bought to carry home on New Years Eve. Crown and Grape Koolaid FTW! :looney:

I was going to ask if that was a bottle of Crown in the back.

Any reason why you did not go full width and only as high as the seat back? Just curious. Nice job.:yelclap:

thats awesome. thanks for posting it up, ive been wanting to build something very similar to thank for my subs and gear. but instead of having it up right standing tall, i'll have mine laying flat.

nice work.

edit: what are the dimensions? and how much air space did your subs require?

Not really the best looking I have seen but it seems functional. Can you hear the rear fill from the speakers in the sound bar with your subs up so close to them like that?

Wow...tough crowd. This guy builds a box that works for him and gets hammered on for it. Nice work, and if it fits your needs, that is all that matters.

Back