• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column swap

no patience

NAXJA Forum User
So I have done a search using the search option, but no luck. I have also googled it but no luck.

I have a 89 XJ with a standard non tilt wheel and I would like to put a tilt wheel in. Now shouldn't it be pretty much an easy swap from another xj?
From what I can remember all I have to do is make sure that the proper wiring is in place (blinkers,wipers,ignition) and it should be a straight swap. Please correct e if I am wrong.

t believe the wiring should be similiar. the only major difference would be if it has intermittent wipers, where adding thr delay module should make that work. also i would get the lower shaft that connects to the gear box in case thats different too

thanks, I when i pick one up I will pick up the steering shaft with it, just incase anything is different.And if it is the same at leas I will have a spare.

I do not know if the Renix era colums are different. I do know that the GM style column was used till 94 though. I think the internal wiring may be different.

Don't know about 94 and up , but any early GM style will work. Mine had no tilt/cc/tilt or int wipe. Has everything now. Just make sure use the one for your tranny (AT or STD).

I think that the new steering column have to came from a Xj with the same type of tranny. Manual and auto they have different item numbers in the parts catalogue.

Regards

Back