• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35" tires + stock steering OK or NO GO?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Currently have my 96 XJ outfitted with RE 5.5" long arm lift. D30 upfront with ARB locker and 8.25 in the rear with an LSD. Also have an ARB bumper w/ winch and lights so there is a decent amount of weight up front... 4:56 gears in the axels.

I'm currently running 33" Trxus MTs and stock steering. This set up has worked well and held up to a LOT of abuse. Currently the alignment is WAY off but that's another story...

It's getting to be time to replace the tires. Will my current set up handle 35" tires under heavily wheeling/abuse or should I get another set of 33s? If not what would be the most cost effective steering upgrade that will still handle well on the road?(smooth steering around sharp corners, etc etc)

I should note that I have a pretty new factory steering box and reinforcing plates that tie into the bumper.

Last edited:
That depends on your definition of "heavy abuse". I upgraded my TR/DL at the same time I did my suspension/gears/tires because it seemed like relatively cheap insurance for something I was pretty sure would fail, given the way I wheel.

You could pick up another set of stock steering TR/DL and carry it as a spare, that way you'll not end up stuck if you completely pretzel or otherwise destroy your current stuff. You should know within a few runs how it'll hold up. It it doesn't, bolt-on the spares, go home, order aftermarket replacements.

i dont suggest heavy wheeling with 35's and stock steering. ive done it and regretted it. lucky for me the tierod never gave, just bowed. everywhere sell inexpensive tie rods. the drag link may be fine, but the tie rod is flimsy.

I'm running the RE 5.5 short arms w/drop brackets and 35's. I have a D30 w/Aussie, alloy's and 4.56 gears. I'm using the JCR OTK set up. It seems to do ok. The stock steering seemed to "max" out the TRE and draglink joint.

Seeing how you said cost effective, I would either suggest the ZJ V8 upgrade or for a bit more but a whole lot more expensive I would say go with the currie steering set up. It retains the original geometry and has held up really well for many people on here.

Best bang for the buck is the Currie steering. I have installed it on more Jeeps than I can count and never had any major issues with the install or them coming back broken. The other upgrade I would consider is swapping the axle out for something bigger and has true high steer :)

AARON

i'm in the same boat, 35s with stock steerings. mine seems to flex in ruts. i'm looking to upgrade when i can.
my advise is to check the for sale sections for used ones.

tire diameter has nothing to do with it. that much lift is way too much for the stock steering. it severly limits droop and you will risk breaking ends if you flex it too much. not to mention its sloppy on the road due to the increased angles. with all the money you have already spent just do it right and buy something better.

I'm still on stock steering and 35's until I decide which way to go, its the last thing to be upgraded on my trail rig. I carry a spare tie rod, the drag link is fairly tough.

I'm thinking about going with the Ballistic Fab hiem set up but it seems I may have to do some work with the track bar and pick up a drop pitman arm for this set up.

tire diameter has nothing to do with it. that much lift is way too much for the stock steering. it severly limits droop and you will risk breaking ends if you flex it too much. not to mention its sloppy on the road due to the increased angles. with all the money you have already spent just do it right and buy something better.

you're wrong if you think diameter has nothing to do with it.(n) diameter has everything to do with strain and weight. the larger the diameter the weight will increase. the strain being put on the tie rod on flat ground is a real issue. bind any front tire and continue turning on that bound steering and the tie rod will continue bowing and it WILL bend. the angles of the TRE's are second to the waffer thin wall of the tierod.

other considerations, BS, offset, rim material, tire pressure, tread, tire brand, it all plays a role. :explosion

I was running Rock Krawler 3 link with 33's, 4.56's , and lockers on the 8.25 & d30. I wasted my factory steering. Then I "upgraded" to the Rock Krawler..It was wasted in 6 months. Then, I bit the bullet and order the Teraflex Hi-steer conversion which works awesome. The only thing I would change with it is the aluminum link bars. I haven't had a problem yet with them bending, but I'm more mindful that the bars are there when I get twisted up. So I tend to finesse it a little more. It steers great with no bind from lock to lock and at full droop.

This couldn't be farther from the truth. Tire diameter WILL play major havok on stock steering as it increases. Also, angles are not as much of a concern for "sloppiness" long as the trackbar and draglink are parallel.

I was running Rock Krawler 3 link with 33's, 4.56's , and lockers on the 8.25 & d30. I wasted my factory steering. Then I "upgraded" to the Rock Krawler..It was wasted in 6 months. Then, I bit the bullet and order the Teraflex Hi-steer conversion which works awesome. The only thing I would change with it is the aluminum link bars. I haven't had a problem yet with them bending, but I'm more mindful that the bars are there when I get twisted up. So I tend to finesse it a little more. It steers great with no bind from lock to lock and at full droop.

I also run the Teraflex High Steer kit with their OTK conversion and I cant remember the last time I slammed it into a rock. Beefy stuff.

DSC05609.jpg

DSC05369.jpg

I'm still on stock steering and 35's until I decide which way to go, its the last thing to be upgraded on my trail rig. I carry a spare tie rod, the drag link is fairly tough.

I'm thinking about going with the Ballistic Fab hiem set up but it seems I may have to do some work with the track bar and pick up a drop pitman arm for this set up.

If the XJ sees much street time, I would rethink heims.

Achmed, doesn't look like your jeep has ever hit a rock, never mind the steering in particular!! Very nice ride, sir!

Well, I 'm planning a trip to the pick-a-part in Edmonton this week to get a ZJ pitman arm and steering set-up for cheap. I just upgraded to 35's and this was quite informative, thank you. This should put my mind at ease and not freak my wife out when she see's the bill...:cheers:

Achmed, doesn't look like your jeep has ever hit a rock, never mind the steering in particular!! Very nice ride, sir!

ha ha ha! dont judge a book by its cover.....you will always be shown up.

I'm not saying he doesn't wheel it, I'm sure he does. Just that his rig looks niceeeeee.

Back