• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coilover reservoir removal?

vintagespeed

NAXJA Forum User
I'm currently running Sway A Way 12" coilovers with remove reservoirs and I'd like to remove them. Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove them & replace them with a Shrader valve like a typical non-reservoir coilover?

Here's a pic of the current setup.

front_setup.jpg

The main function of the remote reservoir is to separate the oil and high-pressure nitrogen. As the shock compresses and the shaft moves into the body of the shock, the volume of oil that the shaft displaces needs to go somewhere, it goes into the reservoir. The reservoir contains a dividing piston that has oil on one side via the reservoir hose and high-pressure nitrogen on the other side. The nitrogen allows the piston to move along with the shock shaft and keeps the shock under pressure to prevent cavitation. I do not think it will work properly without the resevoir

Most rock crawlers run non-reservoir shocks, and they're the same shock bodies. I know they can be converted, or maybe I'll just keep them this way until I get the 14s.

It can be done, you just have to change some valving in the body, just adding a shrader will not alow room for nitrogen. Why would you remove them? I would find somebody on Race-dezert.com to trade you.:)

Well, I just got a deal with Fox so I'll be changing them out to some 14" non-reservoirs soon. But in the meantime I was just playing with the idea. Thanks for the info.

Back