• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need info and advice on tire chains im clueless

toyotawrench

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i'm going to go ahead with the purches of chains. Do i need 4 chains or just two. does it matter what brand, what thickness, what about cables? Someone who is well informed please help me out here.

Peace
ted

I run heavy duty tire chains with vbars, same size as most the semi's use around here, just made to fit my 31's, traction is wild, I run them just on the front, I plan on using some lighter duty chains on the rear to clear my leafs (8.8 swap so not much room). I believe cables are more for an emergency situation,I'm unsure about longevity. I destroyed a set and the inner liner on a car once. I paid $90 bucks new. see my thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=978856&highlight=CHAINS

we dont get enough snow to warrant actual chains here Ted, cables will be fine, and you probably wont need them. they only need to go on the "drive" wheels, 4x4s only require them on the back.

Ted,

Are you getting them for off-road use or street use to get somewhere and pass through the check-points?

If you plan on snow wheeling, then get a real good chain. If it is for street use to get to and around the local mountains, then cables will be fine.

You only need 1 set (2 chains, 1 per tire) and they go on the tires that are under power. If you plan on snow wheeling, you can get 2 sets (1 for each tire) but I only know a few guys that have these. They live in Big Bear and play in the snow alot!

For cables, almost any cable will be fine. Check Craigslist and our FS section. I have a set of chains that will fit several tires. I had them for my 31's and never used them. I will get the info and send you a PM this evening.

Do a little search for chains. I forgot the name but there is one company, I believe SCS that makes really good chains.

Hope this helps a little.

its SCC, Rob. :cheers:

what size tire ted? i probably have some in stock and jeepers get a discount at my store. ;)

Ted,

Before you buy new check thrift stores and if you're not in a hurry, yard sales.

Thanks to your help reinstalling the trans, we had a great time in Yosemite and I got to ("required" on our 2 wd, but it's a Jeep w/snow tires so it "must" be 4wd) use our chains for the first time ever. We used some with cables for mounting and real chains over the tread. Seemed to work fine with much deeper gripping than cables alone without the problem of wrapping limp chains around the tires. Install your chains, drive a bit and tighten them up. With the deep AT tread pattern they "settled" way in and needed to be two notches both inside and out on both tires.
Chain requirements were (IIRC);
1) Some snow / ice, 2wd chains on drive wheels only. 4wd, not required.
2) More show / ice, no 2wd drive allowed. 4wd w/full snow tires OR chains on rear.
3) Deep snow / ice (the road will probably be closed anyway) 4wd w/full snow tires AND chains all around.
We took an old 1/2 inch back packing mat which made installing / removing the chains much nicer.

Mike

cables are easier to use

chains last longer but require you know how to put them on the right way

both require that you keep sensible with your driving

I have chains. I do not like cables because when I need them cables are not gona work in the soupy muddy mess under the snow and chains do a lot better.

Just my opinon

Go for chains, 100%. Cables are weak, and usually not even offered for 33" and up tires anyhow.

Are you doing a lot of mountain driving? Personally, I would save the 130 bucks and put that toward a locker or something!

:)

Back