• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good headlight harness?

$10-$30, depending on how extensive your electrical toolkit is.

the hardest thing i had to source was the h4 sockets, but i found those on ebay from japan for very little coin.
to sum it up, x3 on te go-jeep harness

It really is easy and pretty cheap if, as xcm pointed out, you already have some electrical tools, connectors, et cetera handy. The hardest part for me, too, was getting the H4 sockets. I ended up buying pre-wired ones from Murrays Auto and carefully removed their wires and inserted my own.

just searched that page for jeep, cherokee, and xj, nothing found... is this harness xj specific?
why would you want a custom harness built for some other car?
build your own, a child can do it.

just searched that page for jeep, cherokee, and xj, nothing found... is this harness xj specific?
why would you want a custom harness built for some other car?
build your own, a child can do it.

H4 bulb is not vehicle specific, many vehicles use that bulb.
It may be easy to *build* your own, but its easIER to *click* *buy* *install*
plus its only 28 shipped to my door.

i meant more like, the lengths, a proper upgraded harness has to feed NEW power and NEW ground, from the battery, to each headlight, my harness was maybe a half foot too long, and it annoys the crap outta me to this day......

if it fits, let us know.

i meant more like, the lengths, a proper upgraded harness has to feed NEW power and NEW ground, from the battery, to each headlight, my harness was maybe a half foot too long, and it annoys the crap outta me to this day......

if it fits, let us know.

Will do. I'll actually do a write up on here when I do the install.

Dang, Im also ordering one of these. I thought it was like the summit racing harness thats like 50 bucks, but for 30 im in.

The summit one of for a 2 lamp system, non high beams.
Matrix is also a bad company, but ya never know.
The best one out is the Painless Wiring one, it sells for 140 from 4 wheel parts.

The summit one of for a 2 lamp system, non high beams.
Matrix is also a bad company, but ya never know.
The best one out is the Painless Wiring one, it sells for 140 from 4 wheel parts.

The ARB harness has been great for the last 8 years in my rig. Plenty of length and multiple applications... Probably just as nice as anything Painless puts out. :)

Subscribing... been wanting to mod my headlight harness for a year or so... just never got around to it.

Let us know how well this goes.

Let me take another swing at this. Fitch has a good write up with where to buy the stuff to make the harness. I follow this when I made my, no problems and works great.
http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=57
Great guy to work with, I need help on his switch box and he got back to me right away with great answers.:patriot:

I made my own harness. It was easy and cheap and to the length that I wanted/needed. Here is the diagram that I used. I got it off of "Jeepfan.com" I am also using the eBay (don't laugh they work great) housings that use the H4 bulbs. There's a whole topic on those. I think the sellers name for the housings was "autopal"

relaycircuit.jpg

I made my harness using the Go-jeep plans. The biggest hitch is that the headlight terminals on the new sockets I bought will not accept 10 ga wire at all. It's not good to splice to a smaller lead wire, but at least they are factory crimped. Mine keep working out.

Too much wire is a pain, too, as the Jeep front end has no room to double back and stow the extra length. It becomes a problem. I strongly recommend building the harness and then cut and crimp the headlight terminals after installing to get it the right length. Using Go-jeeps lengths, you could go 12" shorter with no problem.

Of course, the point is to use a better grade headlamp - think about how you might protect them from rocks or deer. Adding $50 a lamp to your rebuild costs can affect the budget - it would be nice to have more protection and less damage. If you've hit a deer before, you know this already.

The improvement is dramatic when you have one old and one new installed. I can drive on the Hella while the Sylvania flickers on and off, with no real loss of light. The old lamp is on the right pointing into the left ditch. One good 85/100W makes that much difference.

magimerlin:

just wondering why you came off the alternator for your +12vdc power to the relays rather then straight off the battery?

As a side note I used the gojeep and the fitchva walkthrough as guides when I built mine (I made a few little changes here and there) and I am convinced my setup is a lot beefier and better made then any aftermarket kit for less price... I'd reconsider building a harness if I were you.

Back