• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case swap ?'s

skidmark421

NAXJA Forum User
My 231 in my 95/AW4 makes horrible grinding popping noises when put into 4 wheel and I can get a good deal on a 242 out of a 98 grand cherokee. Will it bolt right up as long as it's the same spline count?

My 231 in my 95/AW4 makes horrible grinding popping noises when put into 4 wheel and I can get a good deal on a 242 out of a 98 grand cherokee. Will it bolt right up as long as it's the same spline count?
Yeah they are both 23 spline, get the shift linkage and gate for the 242 as well. Myself I'd stay with the 231. I'm ripping my constanly troubled 242 out and installing a 231 this monday. I've been through more than a few 242's and I've had it.

Yeah, I didn't really wanna do the swap, but I was looking at a parts rig for my grand that happened to have a 242. Maybe I'll just rob the 231 out of my dead 94 Grand Cherokee since it seems like I like my XJ a little better.

Back