• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door vs 4 door

wheel base is the same, doors, body and glass are obviously differant... which can bite you in the ass later on, but yeah, 80% personal preferance, 20% parts availability.
dont let anyone tell you 2doors are rare, 2 headed snakes are rare, 2door xj's just arent as prevailant

i have a 2door parts jeep that i am really looking foward to building a tube chassis in... to each his own!

the L W H are the same which is kind of weird to be by looking at the pictures.

i looked at most of the specs i think it's just personal preference. and 4 doors cost a lil more

Do 2 doors have the same drivelines as 4 door XJs ?
What I mean is For example will a 96 2 & 4 door use the same axles, Driveshafts, etc..

yes, exact same drivetrains...

dont let anyone tell you 2doors are rare, 2 headed snakes are rare, 2door xj's just arent as prevailant...

Most of two doors (that I've seen) are either four cylinders, five speeds, two wheel drives, or some combination of the three.

The two-door/4.0/AW4/4x4 is hard to find. Maybe not as rare as that snake, but pretty hard to find...

The only downside (besides backseat access) is finding replacement glass. The two-doors start out fairly uncommon, and then that big quarter glass was available with and without the vent window, and either clear, smoke- or bronze-tinted.

So once you find a donor, with good glass, there's only a one in six chance of matching.

Robert

my first jeep was a 90 2 door with the 4.0 im not sure what tranny it had and a 242 t case... with d30/35 my passengers hated having to move the seat to get in. i now have a 4 door i think its alot better then the 2 door i still think 2 doors are really cool though

yeah, my first xj was a 91 2dr laredo, 4.0 aw4 231, had the vent windows, the clock (don't realize how nice it is till you don't have it anymore!! heh) alloys, etc... I guess it was a somewhat hard to come by setup, but it was a good first vehicle. Not bad for free anyway :)

I am on my 4th 2dr 2wd 5-sp 4.0(4.6). They all had AC, but 3 out of 4 didn't have the cluster, nor the rear wiper(I removed it on the one that had it) or rear defrost; they all had manual locks and windows(easy enough to reach over, instead of behind). They tended to be stripped down. I agree that the 2dr 4wd aw4 is probably the rarest XJ.

ouuu, 4.6 eh? very nice :) any interest in trading 2 great running 4.0s for your 4.6? :D

The two-door/4.0/AW4/4x4 is hard to find. Maybe not as rare as that snake, but pretty hard to find...

wish you'd let all these people know, and me as well, cause i got a 4wd aw4 2door as well....it doesnt seem rare to me...
I am on my 4th 2dr 2wd 5-sp 4.0(4.6). They all had AC, but 3 out of 4 didn't have the cluster, nor the rear wiper(I removed it on the one that had it) or rear defrost; they all had manual locks and windows(easy enough to reach over, instead of behind). They tended to be stripped down. I agree that the 2dr 4wd aw4 is probably the rarest XJ.
yeah, my first xj was a 91 2dr laredo, 4.0 aw4 231, had the vent windows, the clock (don't realize how nice it is till you don't have it anymore!! heh) alloys, etc... I guess it was a somewhat hard to come by setup, but it was a good first vehicle. Not bad for free anyway :)
my first jeep was a 90 2 door with the 4.0 im not sure what tranny it had and a 242 t case... with d30/35 my passengers hated having to move the seat to get in. i now have a 4 door i think its alot better then the 2 door i still think 2 doors are really cool though

wish you'd let all these people know, and me as well, cause i got a 4wd aw4 2door as well....it doesnt seem rare to me...

I'm not saying they're not popular -- There's one in my driveway right now :D

Just that they're harder to find. Right now on ebay motors, they list 82 Cherokees. (Including a couple of misclassified Grands)

Out of those 82, I found three two doors. 3/82 is pretty rare.

Of those, this one and this one are two wheel drive, and this one is a five speed.

So yeah, I'd say 0/82 is pretty uncommon.

Robert

Two doors are a bit lighter with doors on. 4 doors are lighter with all doors off. Many say the 4 door has a stronger top do to the extra post. But they all look about the same to me when rolled (doors on).

we should ask mythbusters about that :)

2 doors flex better and chicks dig 'em.

:D

Back