• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 shift point problem

colby44

NAXJA Forum User
hello so im having an issue with my 89 cherokee 4.0 aw4. it started as a corporate fleet vehicle, then was a tow vehicle for a guys autocross car back and forth from Utah to Washington...anyways i am having hard shifts but that isnt really an issue with my and i know its just because of the age of my jeep since it has 227000 miles...but what does bother me is that when im going right around 30 mph it cant decide if it wants to be in 3rd or 4th and shifts back and forth. any ideas to fix this?

Last edited:
Sounds like an unadjusted or "bad" throttle positioning sensor. Put this together with your "power loss" thread. I'm betting both symptoms are from the same cause....

its alright but what you suggested could be at fault for me right now, because when i stomp on the gas it is sporadic in what it does, sometimes it will instantly drop 2 gears and go or it would hold in 4th for a bit then drop a gear. or doesnt really drop gear when your going up a hill and you have to floor it in 4th and you will still loose speed

At 30 MPH the AW4 will definately not be in 4 unless you have major problems. Well maybe not major but definate problems non the less. 30 MPH in the AW4 should be 2nd or 3rd at the highest not 4th.

You need to check and/or replace the TPS and have it adjusted properly if needed. That is one way the AW4 will be in 4 at that low speed. The other being a bad TCM.

I do not have a Renix machine so I cannot give more spefic help. I am sure someone else will have more to add.

it might be that you are seeing 3rd and 3rd with TC lockup, which feels a lot like 4th

yea when you feather the throttle at 3rd it will release the lock up rev up then lock up and idle back down. i thought i was trippin at first too, but i took it to a transmission shop and thats all it was.

tell ya what... try this. take it for a drive but instead of DRIVE, put it into 3rd and see if it still does it at 30 mph, if it does its your torque converter, if not, its shifting between gears and you just might need your transmission fluid changed filled or serviced. they can usually drop your pan and see if theres something wrong.

maxxxj: if i flip the power switch on, then it doesn't seem to shift back and forth so im guessing that its not the torque converter.
its leads me to believe that its the tps because when im on the highway and i go up a hill, it wont want to drop a gear until i almost give it full throtle, even when i am ill loose speed untill i get down into 3rd

I agree that the TPS is the likely suspect. You can check yours and try adjusting it. They don't seem to like water very much so if it got wet you may need to replace it.

My 88 has had some funky shifting occur several times over the years I've owned it. Everytime, it took replacing the TPS. When I wash out my engine bay now, I put a baggie over the TPS and IAC and don't spray directly on them.

maxxxj: if i flip the power switch on, then it doesn't seem to shift back and forth so im guessing that its not the torque converter.
its leads me to believe that its the tps because when im on the highway and i go up a hill, it wont want to drop a gear until i almost give it full throtle, even when i am ill loose speed untill i get down into 3rd

power switch? :huh:
my 2000 4 dr 4.0 4wd auto dont have a power button... I WANT A POWER BUTTON!

well i dont have one =/ oh well. im happy with what i have and i get to take my xj to the beach on saturday im pretty excited, new tires, just installed my tow package with my hardcore shackle ... im ready to air down and have some fun! =)

Not sure what year the cutoff was but after sometime in the early 90's the power/comfort switch was eliminated and it was hardwired in the power mode.

The comfort mode allowed for more slippage which will wear the transmission quicker....

Anyway yes, I'd look at the TPS for your problem. Although you still might want to readjust it before shelling out the cash for a new one.

Back