• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need job/school/career help: Who here works in computers (IT, CIS, Graphics, etc)?

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
Ok gang, I need some advice.

I'm reeeeeally tired of struggling. My longer-term goal is to earn my teaching credential, but this requires my going back to CSUF to finish my BA. Problem is, I owe CSUF money and I can't go back right away. And once I do go back, it will take me 2 full semesters to finish.

In the mean time, I had a shorter-term goal in mind...and that's where I need help. I was thinking about going back to a junior college to either take classes just for personal gain, or to earn an AA, in some sort of computer field - which will give me the knowledge in some particular computer related discipline so that I can work in that field until I finish school and start teaching.

So...that said...is this possible in a 1-year timeframe? All my Gen Ed is done (I have an AA already) so I would just be taking the computer classes. I don't know which discipline would be the most realistic, though. IDEALLY, I would want to take 2 semesters worth of classes (1 year) and either get an AA or enough experience/knowledge to apply for jobs in that computer discipline. I am hoping for something that would open the door to an entry-level position starting at $40K+.

Is this possible? And if so, what would you recommend? IT? CIS? Graphic Design? Something else I'm not thinking of? I don't have any experience with software or networking, really. I know enough to do light tweaking and build a machine from parts.

If you have any suggestions, let me know. Thanks in advance!

Forget about going back for another AA. That's at least one more year you won't be doing what you really want to do - Teach. Plus, you really don't need an IT degree to work in IT.

You need to focus your time and energy on your long term goals and starting a career in a different field would be keeping you from accomplishing those goals. Really evaulate your options and determine if they will help you acheive your goals. If something does not get you closer to teaching, then toss it out.

This is just the bottom line. PM me if you would like to talk over the phone about this. Trust me, you need to keep focussed on the bigger picture.

E

I would seriously consider doing everything you can to get your BA because you are very close. Also once you start working or doing something else to consume your time, it will be very difficult to get motivated to go back for the BA. trust me :) this happened to me. Same predicament. I needed money to finish one more semester so I started a couple of full time jobs to make the money and I had a hard time saving money.

I got started in computers by getting my first entry level job doing modem support for 3com. They provided all the training for Windows and Mac OS's and within a year I knew my way around the two OSs pretty well. Then moved on to a small start-up where I gained lots of coding, database, IT helpdesk, hardware/software/networking experience.

MCSE training is helpful but really its a joke and doesnt compare to hands on experience. I say this because i've interviewed lots of MCSE certified techs and they couldn't answer a number of questions about networking fundamentals (ie protocols, basic properties to establish a TCP/IP connection, etc).

There are tons of free ebooks and courses online for computer related stuff but an onsite entry level job will be a good start. Problem is, not too many companies are hiring right now.

go back to school dude.

honestly you could go back and finish probably within 2-2.5 years with hard work.

i say do it dude. you'd have all the support of your family and everyone around you. its harder to go back when you're older...

Well, that's the rub...I can't go back to school for the BA right now. I would have to come up with a few thousand dollars I don't have. Hence the interim job. A JC would only cost me $150 or so. So I figure in the mean time, I could be learning a new skill that might not only help me get back to school in the not so distant future, but also would come in handy later on.

I need to contact the school to see exactly how much I owe...but I know it's more than I can come up with in 2 weeks time.

Well, that's the rub...I can't go back to school for the BA right now. I would have to come up with a few thousand dollars I don't have. Hence the interim job. A JC would only cost me $150 or so. So I figure in the mean time, I could be learning a new skill that might not only help me get back to school in the not so distant future, but also would come in handy later on.

I need to contact the school to see exactly how much I owe...but I know it's more than I can come up with in 2 weeks time.

ah that is a problem.

can you get student loans or anything? grants?

a JC isn't a bad option. however i think if i were you i would go to get more in depth into the degree you really want, like what you wanna teach. i dont know i'd go learning a new skill.

its a hard call tho...you may wanna look into certifications online or something.

I was in the same position a few years ago.

I graduated commercial diving school, got into a MC wreck, broke a whole lot of bones, decided to change my career path (actually had to). Went to JC for a few years got an A.S. and A.A. then transferred to UCSB. I already had loans out for commercial diving school but once you are 24 yrs old the govnt basically pays your way, you dont have to claim your parents (officially independent). I work in several labs on campus but make a minimal amount of money and still get by fairly well with the grants and subsidized loans that I receive. I will most likely be working on a research vessel as a diver for the next few years while completing USC's 100% online M.S. GIS program and possibly teach Community College after that.

My advice is to wait till your 24 yrs old (enroll when your b-day is within the first academic year and you will still get the same deal), and finish your degree on tax payers money rather than your own. Until then, find work that is relevant to your goal and gain experience while you have less obligations on your time.

My degree is in geography with emphasis in GIS (geographical information systems). It is more or less a comp tech degree. Look into Saddleback CC, they have a GIS cert program that seems like its reputable. GIS techs make 50+k a year to start and its not all that difficult to find work in socal (so I hear).

....Hope that helps

Entry level jobs in computers don't pay squat (unless that GIS thing is a whole world different). The upside is that you don't need any training. I'm the lead system administrator at UCSD Graduate School and I have an M.A. in Literature, if that says anything.

Entry level positions in IT tend to pay in the 30-40k a year range, but the job market is pretty scarce at the moment, and I don't expect it to get much better anytime real soon. Not to mention, unless your in graphic design or web/application programming (which tends to take more talent), entry level generally means help desk....and man, that just sux! I will say, if you do go into IT, just lie about your qualifications. Say you have an MCSE and learn to use google.com. Half the people I've worked with in the past are absolute morons and half a ton of certs, but they still can't manage to resolve or plan a damn thing. I, on the other hand, got all my experience from building gaming machines because I'm a computer game junkie. =)

However, I keep thinking about going back to bartending....I did that during college and was making more then than I do now (of course UCSD pays crap wages....so that doesn't help). If you're just looking for short term work that allows flexibility and will make the wages your looking for plus some, I'd say go with that.

Back