• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

back hatch

Xjcj3a

NAXJA Forum User
when the bought my xj, the back hatch only had one of the shock/absorber things on it. the bracket looks like its ripped out of the passenger side(on the body itself not the hatch) does anyone have a link to the replacment? and is it screwed in or welded?

HERE ya go.
linky
Eighth item down the page. Looks like they screw in.
For future reference, a little info (year/motor/tranny etc.) can go a long way in helping us help you. I don't know what year yours is, or if it even matters in this case, but these were my first hit and the listing says for '91 - '96. hth
Brian

sorry about that, threw the post together at lunch. i will put that info in from now on. think im going to have to weld them in, my jeep doesnt have anything left that i can screw into.

They screw into a nut that's tack welded inside the body there. Welding and JBweld are both useless as the entire piece is not metal (at least the original factory one's aren't). When it warms up and I'm not going on so many trips I'm going to see what I can figure out as a better replacement.

My stud tore out several years ago (the nutsert came unhitched). I bought a replacement at NAPA that I was able to use with 2 sheet metal screws onto the pillar. Once you get the plastic off the pillar it's easy to see how it would work.

I replaced both sides, top and bottom with this doo-dad. I don't have a pic of it, but it has worked like a charm all this time (I've replaced the shocks since then too). No nutsert, no need to weld.

I sent a reply to your PM

000_0002_edited.jpg

...but like I said...I found this on the rack next to the supports display @ NAPA. My nutserts were toast. This worked quite nicely with a couple sheet metal screws into the pillar, had to take the plastic moulding off to mount them.

Last edited:
OK, I was just at NAPA. They are now behind the counter (at ours, they just re-modeled), but I remembered to ask for the part in question. It's called a "Lift Support Bracket" (duh) they stocked 2 kinds.
The p/n for the one in the picture is #735-1898, another style is #735-1899 (more of an L shaped bracket).

I have both of mine and 1/2 the time they won't hold the hatch up. Even after buying 2 new ones it still won't stay up, usually on cold or wet days. To fix it I improvise and place locking pliers on the rod just before it enters the entire assembly. Work great. Just FYI.

In this pic of a friends XJ you can see the pliers. He's actually the one I stole to idea from.:D

110_1450.jpg

Back