• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crap. What's the easiest way to open an XJ without the key?

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
Well, we recently had a huge snow storm, so I put my extra key in my jeep so I could lock the doors while it was warming up. The snow is gone but I forgot to remove the extra key. :rolleyes: As you might have guessed by now, both sets of keys are currently locked inside.

So, that leads me to my next question, what is the cheapest way to get inside my '96 XJ? Anybody have any tips for getting a particular lock open? The tailgate looks like it could be easy to pick but I have no idea how.

How much do the front corner windows cost in the junkyard? :banghead:

Seriously....I'm not trying to steal it. If I was I'd just use a brick. :laugh:

go to orielys and get a slim jim. Next go to the pass side and slim jim it. Took me about 30 secs the only time I had too. "hooked" in on slim jim down. Just infront of the lock angles towards the rear of the door and then slide forward. If I remember right thats where it caught the assembly at.
If anything call a buddy or if you have a used car salesman buddy he might know how. (ask me how I know)

Parakeet

pull the rubber piece that scrapes water from the outside of the front driver or passenger front doors as you roll them down. you should be able to see the rod that goes from the inner handle to the door lock on the outside. pull up on it with a coat hanger or something and as you are pulling up, pull it towards the back of the truck. should pop the lock right open. maybe different if you have power locks, im not sure how the actuator hooks up, as i do not have power locks on either of my jeeps ;)

hth
-G

go to orielys and get a slim jim. Next go to the pass side and slim jim it. Took me about 30 secs the only time I had too. "hooked" in on slim jim down. Just infront of the lock angles towards the rear of the door and then slide forward. If I remember right thats where it caught the assembly at.
If anything call a buddy or if you have a used car salesman buddy he might know how. (ask me how I know)

Parakeet

I was thinking about that, I didn't realize they sell them at parts stores. I'll have to look for one. If anybody has any other tips on using one I would appreciate it...

rumor is that if you don't have a hitch, you can unbolt the bottom of the latch plate for the tailgate and just pull it open. A slimjim is usually a pretty reliable way, though. Some tow trucks carry mini air bags they slip between the front door and the B pillar and inflate it so you can reach a coat hanger or something in to unlock or open the door.

rumor is that if you don't have a hitch, you can unbolt the bottom of the latch plate for the tailgate and just pull it open. A slimjim is usually a pretty reliable way, though. Some tow trucks carry mini air bags they slip between the front door and the B pillar and inflate it so you can reach a coat hanger or something in to unlock or open the door.

This didn't work on the wifes 94 or mine 89..
This is why i know about the BFH:laugh:

I know around here you can call the police non-emergency and they will slim-jim it once you sign a waver releaseing them from any liability of damage. they are ussually pretty quick and you can't beat the price (well we pay taxes if we use them or not so...).

i live in the salt belt so i had easy access holes in the floor that i could reach the window crank through...still have scars from rusty metal cutting me tho

I've pulled several rear side windows while installing factory tinted ones from the junk yard. A couple of big flat screw drivers between the body and gasket and worked popped them right out. Of course I'm in So. Cal. and I did it in the summer when the rubber was flexible. If you go that way search on how to reinstall them.

2nd the BFH, but only if your insurance covers glass.. I know I had free glass replacements with my insurance in MA w/ no deductable. Not sure about what I have now.

Other than that, like was also mentioned, pulling the rear passenger side windows isn't hard. Its easier if you have someone on the inside pushing out, and thinking about it you COULD damage the rubber surrounding the window, but hey, its an option.

One tip that I have done ever since I got my XJ, go to walmart and find the thinnest key they have. Keep it in your wallet at all times. At least for myself I always have my wallet in my pocket (never leave it in the car or at home) so on matter where I am I always had a copy. Saved me a few times.

vent vindows? an L shape peice of flat steel (thin but rigid- bend a 90 degree in an old butter knife works) to slip between the gasket and the bottom of the vent window,push it down and line it up with the vent lock and pull, next insert some sort of hook (welding rod) to turn the knob. bingo! you done one you done them all. Been on a car lot for a while,can get into most of anything

Is this for real??

Why not create a topic that says "how to break into a cherokee" Use your head to get into it man, you used your head to lock the keys in it. Honestly lets not teach the internet community how to break into Jeeps

B F H..worked for me...

Yep! I locked my keys in mine by accident on a trail ride,:gonnablow while the Jeep was running,:confused1 20 miles from no where!:explosion

I busted out the vent glass with a hammer.

I picked another vent glass/frame up at the JY for $20 and it only took about 30 min to put the whole window frame and all in. It took longer to vacuum all of the glass out than it did to fix it!

Is this for real??

Why not create a topic that says "how to break into a cherokee" Use your head to get into it man, you used your head to lock the keys in it. Honestly lets not teach the internet community how to break into Jeeps

never though of it that way. good point!

Is this for real??

As if they don't already know. :rolleyes: The whole point of this thread is getting in with the least amount of damage....I could probably steal 5 XJs tonight with a screwdriver and a hammer...

To everyone else, thanks for the help....I'll try 'em out tomarrow. Unforunately I do not have glass coverage. I'm hoping a cop might notice me "breaking in" and offer to help, they will not slim jim for free around here.

I'm going to call the junk yard in the morning and ask how much they want for windows...which one is the EASIEST one to replace?:laugh:

Back