• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ misses & stalls out (getting bad)

TomSwift

NAXJA Forum User
I got my first jeep about 3 weeks ago. It's a 98 XJ SE 4.0 auto with about 114000 miles on it. I drove it from Chatanooga back down to Central Florida with no problems, but after about three weeks I have some issues.

In the last week or so I started to notice the motor missing occasionally between 40 and 50 mph. Now it has begun to stall out at least once a day when slowing down to a stop. After the motor dies the power steering goes, but I still have electrical power because the radio and air conditioner keep running.

I was thinking it might be a fuel pump or filter problem but I got it scanned for error codes at Advance and it turned up a P0320 code. The scan described the problem as an "Ignition/Dist Engine Speed Input Circut Malfunction". Thier computer says that I need to replace a Speed Sensor, specifically a $137.26 GP Sorensen model #779-9719. I have a picture of the part but have no idea where it goes, and I don't have a manual yet.

I have now spent a good amount of time looking for more info on the web and through naxja posts to get more info but I haven't seen anything that only addresses the P0320 code or that really focuses on this sensor being a problem.

It seems from what I have been reading that this could be one of several bad sensors, or a faulty wiring issue.

Anyone out there have this problem before. I am open to any new suggestions.

( I am also open to im's from anyone with tips on places to find a factory service manual online! )

Last edited:
The code says your problem likely is caused by a faulty Crankshaft position sensor or it's related wiring. The sensor is located near the top of the bell housing on the driver side. The harness comes up behind the engine and is accessible from up top. Check the connector for corrosion, and the wire harness for any burns or breaks. Sometimes the harness rubs against the exhaust and burns through.

There are about a bazillion threads on here about it. Search on CPS and you'll find lost of stuff.

Back