• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decisions... help needed

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
I have an 89 4.0 AW4/242

Im having alot of drivetrain issues lately, and im really trying to decide where i wanna take this project the next time i get some cash..

Option one, Yank the Renix block out, Freshen it up, Gaskets/WP/Timing chain and the oh so anoying Blow by Vacuum system.

Option two, swap to a newer HO setup..

Option 3, Buy another XJ, swap over my suspension parts/steering and possibly swap my 242 in, if the new one has a 231..
(im a fan of full-time)

Now, the issues with my current xj are not just drivetrain, Its got a handful of other issues, Swiss cheese Exhaust manifold, wiring quirks, Water leaks/ hiddin rear-end collision damage..

Im thinking i should have a grand or so.. My xj is just a trail rig, not a DD, I wheel it for a weekend, then spend the next 6 weeks wrenching on all the new problems. annoying? yes... but its a hobby, that i rarely have cash to put towards...

Now, the second part of this debate, I have always heard to stick to the AW4 tranny, Im a 5speed fan, i like the control i have with the clutch, but everyone said the aw4 is a brick, dont go near the ax-15, If i sell, im thinkin about searching for a 5sp, I know they normally come with different gearing (3.07s?)
But i plan to regear to 4.88s with either Jeep, at some point..

Just remember that most (cheap) XJ's you buy will need alot of little things as well that might leave you just as frustrated. Mine has lots of little quirks similiar to yours (a few little leaks here and there, water pump needs doing soon, timing chain should to be replaced at some point, intermittent working power windows etc etc). I just finished weighing out the options, and my current 1990 still won out, simply because I know exactly what I have replaced, and exactly what I need to address and just how urgently it's needed. Around here, even the oldest vehicles hold their value so starting with another cheap base isn't really an option for me, but if you live in one of those areas where XJ's are a dime a dozen, you might be in a different boat!

Back