• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arm life span?

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering what the life span of the stock control arms are? as im contemplating my next lift im wondering what way to go. my stockers have around 106k on them and i prob took it wheeling for the first time ever in its life this past saturday. my lift choices are an OME 3" or a RE 3.5" SF. so if i go OME i was thinking whether or not to upgrade the control arms or throw a new pair of stock ones in?

it's a good idea to replace the lower control arms at least if you are lifting 3" or more as they will limit your articulation and give you a rougher ride. My stockers had 170k on them before I replaced the lowers with my RE 3.5" SF lift components. New ones are much better. I still have the stock uppers though and they are fine.

it's a good idea to replace the lower control arms at least if you are lifting 3" or more as they will limit your articulation and give you a rougher ride. My stockers had 170k on them before I replaced the lowers with my RE 3.5" SF lift components. New ones are much better. I still have the stock uppers though and they are fine.

And anything bigger than a 30x9.5 on stock wheels will rub them!

I have gotten as much as 170k out of stock arms on 2" lift but started getting the dreaded death wobble which turned out to be the LCA on the pass side, the axle end bushing was shot. I just went to the junk yard and found a later model with less miles and got the arms for $20 and swapped them out, all is good. If you want to go 3", you might as well go 3.5 and get a complete kit with the arms.

if you're going to replace them, you might as well upgrade them. you can get a set of upgraded lower control arms for $75-100, which can't be much more than you'd pay for stock replacements anyway. Or, just buy a lift kit that includes them, like the RE 3.5".

Back