• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Axle Nuts w/o the Jeep as leverage

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hey all

I have a set of new shafts I need to pull the unit bearings off of (wrong year). What is the best way to remove the nut from shafts that are not on the Jeep?

Put the hub and shaft on the floor. Put a breaker bar between/across the lug nut studs so you can stand on one end of the bar as you wrench on the 36MM nut.

Put the hub and shaft on the floor. Put a breaker bar between/across the lug nut studs so you can stand on one end of the bar as you wrench on the 36MM nut.

Huh?

I tried doing it on the floor. All the shaft does is try to roll.

Impact is what I've always used, my electric Harbor Freight one does the job swell. If all else fails and you dont want to spend the cash on a compressor/pneumatic one, go that route. You are going to fight and fight it otherwise I'm afraid.

What about putting it in my bench vise?

thatll work, ive done that a few times...i used wood blocks so i didnt damage anything but i dont think itll hurt anything if you dont

I... will... type... more... slowly, ... try... to... keep... up. ......... Oh, ... wait, ... I... have... a... picture.

standard.jpg

I... will... type... more... slowly, ... try... to... keep... up. ......... Oh, ... wait, ... I... have... a... picture.

standard.jpg

Don't forget to remove the pin and retaining thing.:idea:

Makes sense now, thanks.

Impact is what I've always used, my electric Harbor Freight one does the job swell. If all else fails and you dont want to spend the cash on a compressor/pneumatic one, go that route. You are going to fight and fight it otherwise I'm afraid.

an impact worked on yours?! i had mine on the jeep and when i did it i used a 3ft piece of pipe on the end of my 1/2" drive socket and snapped the drive off the socket. i had to use a 3/4" drive breaker bar with that 3ft pipe to break that nut loose!

Wow.

You guys must be a bit bigger than I, I can't get the nut to budge standing on a breaker bar.

Wow.

You guys must be a bit bigger than I, I can't get the nut to budge standing on a breaker bar.

pb blaster is your friend in that situation. may also require the use of a torch.

if you can get the nut to budge, then you can work it from there. if the nut moves then siezes up dont continue to force it. it usually siezes up due to debris in the threads- rust, dirt, sand, grime, gunk. when it gets difficult to turn, tighten the nut back down some. this moves the nut off of the debris allowing it to "clean" itself out. repeat over and over and over again the loosening/tightening until the nut is off. yes, it takes a while but can save a lot of flustration later.

if the nut just wont budge from the start, you may need to use an impact. hopefully someone in your area has one you can use. if not, you can take it to a shop and pay a small fee for them to remove the nut for you.

you could also put the shaft into your jeep. the wrong unit bearing may not allow the shaft to turn, but it can give you the extra leverage needed.

hth

At a junkyard I was trying to pull a shaft, and once I got the axle to wear it would let me put leverage on it, I put a half inch breaker bar and a 3-4 foot long pipe on top of that and pushed all I could against the very end of the pipe. I must have been putting a thousand foot pounds of torque on that thing and BANG the breaker bar broke, heh. The next jeep down the line came off with just a half inch ratchet.. Make sure you don't break a breaker bar! Haha.

I think purchasing an impact is in my near future.

For now since I need the Jeep tomorrow I put the shafts from my old axle in.

I used a bench vice and overnight PB Blaster for the TJ donor axles I swapped in

My bench vise is on a wooden bench; I thought I was gonna break it off the bench!

Back