• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine Light

sublime600

NAXJA Forum User
I checked on search and i know this is probably millionth time this is brought up. Today i was driving to the store and all the sudden i see my check engine light is on. Its not running weird or anything and starts right up. So could it be spark plugs? Its a 2001 so theres no wires or anything. Is there anyone on here in the south jersey/philly area that can pull the codes for me. Or is there somewhere i can go like Autozone or anything. Thanks

I forgot to mention i got this stuff called b12 chemtool to put into the gas tank. Could this have caused it too?

Autozone and similar may have a code reader that you can use. Go on the internet and search for a list of codes and explinations as well or just get the print out that they will provide you. Then let us know?

im gonna do it first thing tomorrow they close at 9 and by the time i would get there it would be 9. Ill let you know what happens tomorrow. thanks

If you're going to keep it for a while, might I suggest just getting your own code reader? You'll be wanting one for OBD-II, and you can find models for the hobbyist that run down around $150 or so.

AESWave (www.aeswave.com) has a couple code readers, also, that are simply modules - and they let a PalmOS device or a PC (laptop/desktop) do the "heavy lifting" - which is something I've been meaning to look into one of these days (although all of my XJ's are pre-OBD, so I don't have to bother with a code readier.)

For a listing of the OBD-II codes, check the Tech Archive section of my website (link in sig.) They're OBD-II codes pulled right from various Jeep OEM FSM sets, so you shouldn't have to filter out codes you might not need...

5-90

Should - more information here (manufacturer's website) - http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip_products.asp

Looks like it's not a "direct" code reader - it interrogates the computer and stores data, when you then download to a Windows machine (probably via a provided interface cable.)

Looks like there's a view for DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) in the software interface - but I'm not sure there's a provision for clearing the CEL/MIL once you fix the problem. A dedicated code reader should have that, because you actually plug the device into the OBD port and it becomes a peripheral of the vehicle's computer while it's plugged in.

AutoXRay makes a decent unit (I have their OBD-I left over from when the kids lived here, and had cars of their own) and you should have no trouble finding something else locally as well. In fact, you might want to check your local AutoZone - and other parts houses (I got my AutoXRay OBD-I on sale at my local for $99, normally $160. Sweet...)

Having your own code reader is a good idea - there are OBD-II DTC's that will not illuminate a CEL/MIL, and they'll only come up with the code reader. I'd get one, and plug it in to check as part of annual inspections...

The OBD-II diagnostic port is typically found on the instrument panel, down by your knees (its location was also standardised by SAE, to make it easy to access.)

5-90

OBD - OnBoard Diagnostics. OBD-I for first generation (~1988 to 1995) and OBD-II for second generation (1996 and later.)
CEL - Check Engine Light. Also called a MIL
MIL - Maintenance Indicated Light. Also called a CEL.
DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code. Not terribly standardised with OBD-I (face it, OBD-I was conceived by California!) but they were standardised in very late OBD-I and all the way through OBD-II by SAE.

Back