• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Draglink and the steering wheel

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Well i recently just upgraded my steering setup and i guess i adjusted it wrong and didn't leave enough room to be able to adjust the draglink to correct the steering wheel. Well then shortly after i installed a new adjustable trac bar which threw the steering wheel off that much more. So as of right now im going to have to disconnect the draglink, so my question is, can i just disconnect the draglink and then straighten the steering wheel to center and then re connect the draglink, since the draglink is already at the perfect length?

correct me if i'm wrong, but unless you changed your lift height, i think it's the draglink that needs to be adjusted, no? what steering did ya get?

Im using the Rugged Ridge steering setup. And when i installed it I adjusted everything so that it would fit, but when i was done, i noticed that the steering wheel was upside down, and i knew that i was getting ready to install a new trac bar, so i left it as is untill i messed with the trac bar. But when i went to try and spin the draglink to turn the steering wheel back to center. The pitman arm side of the draglink is adjusted all the way up, to where i will have to disconnect the draglink and adjust the tie rod end of the draglink to adjust it to get the steering wheel straight. So what i was asking is.... If i go and unbolt the pitman arm side of the draglink and pull it down, instead of adjusting the draglink and trying to get it to re fit, can i just turn the steering wheel back to center with the draglink disconnected from the pitman arm to center the steering wheel , then just bolt up the draglink, since its already been adjusted to be the proper length?

I'm sure someone else can chime in, but I think that would make it so that when you are tracking straight down the road, your steering box won't be at center, and you'll have more "turning power" so to speak, meaning your pitman arm will be off a little bit...

Im using the Rugged Ridge steering setup. And when i installed it I adjusted everything so that it would fit, but when i was done, i noticed that the steering wheel was upside down, and i knew that i was getting ready to install a new trac bar, so i left it as is untill i messed with the trac bar. But when i went to try and spin the draglink to turn the steering wheel back to center. The pitman arm side of the draglink is adjusted all the way up, to where i will have to disconnect the draglink and adjust the tie rod end of the draglink to adjust it to get the steering wheel straight. So what i was asking is.... If i go and unbolt the pitman arm side of the draglink and pull it down, instead of adjusting the draglink and trying to get it to re fit, can i just turn the steering wheel back to center with the draglink disconnected from the pitman arm to center the steering wheel , then just bolt up the draglink, since its already been adjusted to be the proper length?

OK I think I understand. Yes you can spin the TRE alone to back it out or shorten as needed. Make sure you don't over extend it leaving too little inside the coupler. Ideally, the coupler should be threaded evenly down both sides of the trac bar. This assures there is an equal amount of threads holding on both sides.

I would suggest you start with that. Screw both sides in all the way first. If they bottom out against each other, leave an equal number of threads showing. Then roughly center the wheel. Now turn the coupler until the TRE end lines up and bolt it in. The turn the wheel back and forth a few times and center the tires. Then check the wheel and adjust as needed. Make sure you clamp everything down when done. Go out for a ride and adjust again if needed.

My trac bar is only adjustable from one side. and i was actually talking about the draglink. Spinning the draglink it was turns your steering wheel correct? Well my draglink is positioned all the way up leaving no threads visible on the pitman arm side of the draglink. So all i am asking is with the DRAGLINK disconnected from the PITMAN arm, meaning if you look under my jeep, there will be the pitman arm and nothing connected to it, can I get in my jeep and turn the wheel so that the steering box and steering wheel is centered? or will that not work?

Dooh!!! I said Trac bar and meant drag link.

So there are no exposed threads meaning it's screwed in all the way? What about the other side?

So yes, that's what I meant. Disconnect the TRE from the pitman arm. Center the wheel. Then adjust the length so there is roughly an equal amount of threads visible on both sides of the collar and the TRE slides into the pitman arm.

Then adjust as needed to make sure you're on center. Did you change any other linkage? If so, you may still not steer straight until you get an alignment.

ok awesome! thats what i wanted to hear. Do i can take the TRE off the pitman arm, and then just center the steering wheel and then reconnect the draglink?

EDIT: There are no exposed threads on the pitman arm side of the draglink, but plenty on the opposite side.

Back