• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

temp sensor?

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
i just got done replacing my water pump on my 93 xj. fired her up let her warm up with the heater going to add more coolant and water. went to check the temp and it is pegged at 260. i was like WTF? so i pop the radiator cap and stick my finger in the coolant warm but far from hot and the heater was barely blowing warm air yet. so i take it for a drive come back pop the cap again and all is normal but the gauge is still pegged. where is the temp sensor is it where the thermostat is? and would that be the problem from just changing the pump? i did not disconnect the battery before preforming the work but had no problems with this before??

Thermostat is on the front of the engine. Temp sensor should be close to that, I am not too sure where. It does not sound like a thermostat to me, maybe a temp sensor. But if you just changed the belt I would start with that and make sure every thing is where it should be.

i might of route the belt the wrong way!! geez would that do any damage to the pump and would the sensor read like that if it was pumping water the wrong way??

The temp sensor for the dash gauge is in the back of the head, and almost certainly has an air bubble there. That'll get considerably warmer than fluid.

There's a few ways to deal with it. One is to park your XJ nose down, and fill the coolant through the temp gauge hole. Be forewarned that it's a tiny hole. You can also try parking nose up, and bleed the air off at the tstat fitting.

Several years ago, after a head replacement, I drove for a couple of hundred miles before that air bubble finally migrated it's way through the thermostat and into the radiator where it blew into the overflow. The temp gauge bounced pretty widely until that happened.

i checked the belt routing and it is right. now the air bubble cant i just flush the system to get rid of the air bubble?

If you can pressure feed it, sure. You can pull the temp sensor at the back of the head to bleed the air bubble out.

The 93 will normally self bleed. Mine took about two/three cycles of filling, driving to full operating temp, letting cool to draw coolant from the over-flow bottle, refilling bottle etc. I didn't have major fluctuations but temperature on gauge seemed a bit high after a couple of fill/heat cycles so I pulled sensor to make sure there was no bubble. There wasn't and I haven't worried about it since.

As ChiXJeff states, the temp sensor for the gauge is the one on the drivers side top of the head back by the firewall. kind of a pain to get at. Unscrew it carefully if you remove it as I believe others have reported twisting it off -- I may be wrong about that.

IIRC, it's a brass sensor. Be *VERY* careful when you spin it out. A deep well 6pt socket is a good tool here.

Back