• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brain Boxes

sams88

NAXJA Member #1263
Is anyone aware of a company that makes brain boxes for the 4.0L so that a whole wiring harness wouldn't have to be used to put a 4.0L in an earlier model jeep so you could do a nice clean engine transplant, like doing a 3 wire chevy crate engine????

I presume that by "brain box," you are referring to an engine control computer? No outfit makes one directly for the 4.0L (or any other six-cylinder engine) that I can think of offhand, but you may want to look into the MegaSquirt by Bruce Bowling and Al Grippo. It's a highly configurable DIY engine management setup that is designed to be used with pretty much anything out there from three cylinders on up (gasoline-fuelled,) and has quite a following. I've not got any direct experience with the setup (yet...) but I've read up on it quite a bit - it tends to use standard parts, and it's geared toward the hobbyist, so it doesn't require an EET degree to understand. Programme source code is readily available, and usually annotated with decent explanations so it can be readily altered to suit your needs.

That was only like $1,700 before paying the governor anything.... I think I can do a lot of wire stripping and all for that amount of money. LOL

That was only like $1,700 before paying the governor anything.... I think I can do a lot of wire stripping and all for that amount of money. LOL

Check out the MegaSquirt - you can even find kits for not too much money. Yeah, you'll have to tune it yourself, but you'll learn a great deal that way!

lol holy shit

Doesn't surprise me though...that's 'Painless' for ya. :laugh: If I had the bread and didn't want the headache, I'd buy it in a heartbeat though.

Back