• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 transmission swap

Boostn

NAXJA Forum User
Hey

The 90 cherokee 4.0L 4x4 needs a transmission. I found a 94 wrangler transmission for sale. However the 90 AX-15 is internal slave and the 94 wrangler's tranny is also AX-15 but with external slave. I was wondering if I could swap the slave cylinders between the two and use the 94 AX-15 in the 90 cherokee?

Thanks for the help.

You should be able to swap the bellhousings and just change the gear case.

Having said that, if you plan on not using the external slave, I don't suppose I could talk you out of the bellhousing and the clutch fork? I'd like one - mainly because I'm used to external slaves anyhow... I know I'd have to convert the hydraulics proper, but they're on an 88, and are probably coming due for a change anyhow...

5-90

You really want to keep the external slave, that way you dont have to take apart the tranny each time you need to replace it. Your choice of course, but most people that do this swap do it partly for the external slave. Good Luck.

XJING said:
You really want to keep the external slave, that way you dont have to take apart the tranny each time you need to replace it. Your choice of course, but most people that do this swap do it partly for the external slave. Good Luck.

Don't tell him that - I'm looking for an external setup!

Granted, I may also need the front bearing retainer plate, or just sleeve the external slave throw-out bearing, but that should be much easier...

5-90

I thought 90 cherokee ax-15 have different splines than the newer cherokee ax-15? Something like 90 has 21 splines and the newer ones have 23 splines?

Boostn said:
I thought 90 cherokee ax-15 have different splines than the newer cherokee ax-15? Something like 90 has 21 splines and the newer ones have 23 splines?
you're thinking of the aw4. All AX-15's were 23 spline. There were some difference in output shaft length.
The BA-10/5 was 21 spline too, and that was the earlier 5 spd.

You'll also find that the back end of the YJ tranny is drilled slightly different, to "clock" the transfer case slightly higher for ground clearance. It's only about 5 degrees of rotation or so, but it may require some hammering on the tranny tunnel for clearance, and it may[/y] affect the transfer case shift linkage.

87manche said:
you're thinking of the aw4. All AX-15's were 23 spline. There were some difference in output shaft length.
The BA-10/5 was 21 spline too, and that was the earlier 5 spd.

Difference in output shaft length. Is that from the transmission end or transfercase end? I was thinking using the 94 YJ transmission and put the 90 XJ transfercase on it.

There are different input shaft nose lengths. Look at Advanced Adpaters site for info. I don't think you will have any problems with the year range you are dealing with. I think the change accoured about '96 or '97.
Tom

if you can just get the tcase with the trans. That way you can bolt them up together. the YJ case will likely be a 231, if you have a 242 and want to keep it you can swap the input gear.

Eagle said:
You'll also find that the back end of the YJ tranny is drilled slightly different, to "clock" the transfer case slightly higher for ground clearance. It's only about 5 degrees of rotation or so, but it may require some hammering on the tranny tunnel for clearance, and it may[/y] affect the transfer case shift linkage.

OK - so a "gear case" swap is probably in order, rather than a "transmission case" swap. Take the transfer case adapter housing off of your old gearcase (and the bellhousing, if you'd like to keep the prior clutch style!) and put them on the new gearcase. If you don't want to use the "external" slave cylinder style clutch - let me know, because it would simplify a lot of what I do. See if someone with a TJ wants to have the TJ transfer case adapter as a spare - it's covered by the crossmeber in most cases, but you never know...

5-90

Back