• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this a lifter sounding off? (with video)

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally got a decent vid of some top end noise I have had for the last 2 years. I'm pretty sure this is a lifter ticking, and it has been doing this intermittently since I took ownership. Could you experienced mechanics diagnose this for me? Ive never been able to pin-point it to one exact area of the valve cover, but it is definately top-end noise which happens in harmony with the rockers moving when looking into the oil filler hole. I have always had this noise occur randomly and intermittently, it's never really gotten better or worse--in the video you can hear it fade in, then fade out, then fade in again near the end of the clip. I'm pretty much certain that this is a lifter slowly dying, but I just want a second opinion.

Yeah sounds likes valve train noise..Could be a worn rocker arm .

Nick

I actually just had a very similar noise to this one and I took it to a shop thinkin it was a lifter or something but they swore it was an exhaust manifold leak so I called up 4 Wheel Parts where I bought my Banks header that came with a no crack gaurantee and they gave me a new one for free. I replaced the header and found a bunch of fractures on the collector away from where I could see. After I replaced it I could still hear the ticking noise but over the next few days the sound slowly faded away until now I don't hear it at all. I think the exhaust gas leak threw off the proper readings from the O2 sensors to make the air to fuel ratio off just enough to cause a ticking noise. Thats just my idea I have no idea if that is the case but I do know that the noise finally went away. Check that manifold and if your Jeep has the original one on it then I can gaurantee its cracked thats just what they do no way to stop it haha. I also suggest if you do replace it go with an aftermarket one with a gaurantee not to crack like the Banks one since they don't cost the $1000 bucks or close to it like alot of people were trying to sell me for a factory one again. Hope you figure out what excatly the problem is.

Last edited:
$1000 for a factory replacement!??! Whoa!

to the OP, I agree with Ben824... it would also make sense to me that your header could be cracked, and as he said, throwing off the o2 readings... Would be nice if that's indeed the fix, seeing as you'll A) solve your problem, and B) get a nice header too :)

Back