• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pushbutton AW4 shifting setups

mailtruck

NAXJA Forum User
I was browsing through the vendor forum and came across the pushbutton setup for the automatic. Looks like a sweet setup for relatively cheap. I was wondering who if anyone has this setup on their rig and how and what you used to set it up. Pictures would definitly be appreciated. Thanks

Wow! I had not realized Brett had come out with a 2nd (?) generation controller, I think he just caught my intrest now.

I'm curious to see how people are liking this setup too?

I think its a great idea and will probably purchase one myself, sure I could use the DIY techs to accomplish the same thing, but this new one has a programmed chip and stuff, far superior to relays and switches that I could ever do.

twisted_ed said:
I think its a great idea and will probably purchase one myself, sure I could use the DIY techs to accomplish the same thing, but this new one has a programmed chip and stuff, far superior to relays and switches that I could ever do.

Exaclty why I want one now. I felt from the DIY stuff I could build my own, but this new setup looks to be pretty badass with the upshift/downshift buttons, indicator lights, etc. Far better then anything I would be willing to put time into designing.

I always wondered what would happen if you are using his unit your in forth and then switch it off what happens and what happens when you switch it from being on to off while being in the higher gears?

kscherokee said:
I always wondered what would happen if you are using his unit your in forth and then switch it off what happens and what happens when you switch it from being on to off while being in the higher gears?

Go read the FAQ on that website, its all programmed in the chip to return you to automatic and stuff, all safeguarded too, somthing I could not do when I create a DIY one

just checked it out, id do it if it wouldnt set off the check engine light.. :(
the arcade shifter would be sweet

spcustoms said:
just checked it out, id do it if it wouldnt set off the check engine light.. :(
the arcade shifter would be sweet
I was leary of this but you know, when you are going wheeling just take along a cheapie OBD reader and reset the MIL after the wheeling session. Wally world has OBD readers for ~$100.

Harbor Freight has a reader w/ reset for about 40.00... I like this system myself. I can't stand the stupid 1-2 position on this tranny. It always drops into 1st when I want it to stay in 2nd. This looks like the fix for that!

I just have one question about his kit, it has a torque conversor lock and I was wondering how this would affect the life of the transmission, can this create extra stress in any parts in the tranny?

The factory setup only locks the convertor in 3rd or 4th gear and low to medium throttle, if you operate it within those parameters you won't decrease your transmission life at all. Many people use it for compression braking in lower gears, and although this likely reduces the life of the tranny some, I have yet to hear of any instances of problems.

Brett I have been eyeing your stuff for quite a while now and am finally ready to order. Your website has changed a bit lately, how do I order a complete setup?

I think he was also looking for pics of one installed.

Here is a link to Stu Olsen's site, he installed a Gen II of Brett's shifter. Pretty slick install.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/awshift/awshift-1.htm

Erik

Edit: It's worth reading yet again, he just edited his write up on Brett's shift, two days ago.

Last edited:
goodburbon said:
Brett I have been eyeing your stuff for quite a while now and am finally ready to order. Your website has changed a bit lately, how do I order a complete setup?
There is a shopping cart system set up through PayPal. Add a control box, then if you want to get some switches, LEDs, etc from me also, add them individually. Then just checkout through the PayPal cart, you can use a major credit card or a PayPal account.

What if I need to stop, backup, forward again?
If the AWShifter is "on" and locked in 1st, and the mechanical shifter is moved to Reverse, then back to D (or a forward gear), does the AWShifter tell the tranny to go back to locked 1st?
I am thinking of the case when you need to rock the vehicle back and forth and want manual control.

the transmission only uses signals from the solinods in the forward postions IIRC, tho youd have to unlock the TC to stop

I have only 2 wishes for the AW shifter.

I wish I could turn it off while the jeep is running.

and I wish I could lock the converter in 1st and 2nd.

SnagglePuss said:
What if I need to stop, backup, forward again?
If the AWShifter is "on" and locked in 1st, and the mechanical shifter is moved to Reverse, then back to D (or a forward gear), does the AWShifter tell the tranny to go back to locked 1st?
I am thinking of the case when you need to rock the vehicle back and forth and want manual control.

Good question.
Billy

Back