• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 1/4 speakers wont fit in door

basso4735

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a set of these for the front of my cherokee. its a 97

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20607DS...50.html?tp=105

Crutchfield says they fit, and they should right? After I took out the old speaker in the drivers side, and tried to mount the new kicker, I realized that the 2 mounting holes are too far apart, and the new speaker is too small and doesnt reach the holes!

I measured the stock speakers from the 2 screw holes, and it was about 5 and 7/8ths. The new speakers are 5 and 1/4.

I was under the impression that these were supposed to fit?
brickwall.gif

Everything is stock and nothing seemed to be modified with the mounts.

drill new holes?

I know I could do that, but the speaker wouldnt be centered in the hole, and I'm still confused as to why the stock speakers werent 5 and 1/4.

I think the 97s and later came with 6 1/2" speakers. But I have heard the 5 1/4 should fit.

I am not going to be much more help, sorry, thats all I got.

I had ran 5 1/4" speakers in the doors of my 97 2 door when I had it. they were loose but with some good measurements and a second set of hands you can get em lined up pretty good. use self tapping screws to mount them and dont bother drilling new holes. I should have taken pictures when i had them mounted but never even thought i had the Rockford Fosgates and they came with the rings and just cut the door panel and mounted the rings and it looked nice and clean when done.

I had 5.25" speakers in the doors of my 98 stock. Replaced them with the same size.

Would making some small metal tabs with two holes for screws help?
--------
| O O |
--------

holes would be (5.875-5.25)/2 apart = 5/16" apart center to center
outside holes to the Jeep, inside holes to the speakers

In my 99 my 5 1/4 didn't line up either. They were also a little too deep and the window hit the back of the magnet when going down. I used 3 washers on each screw to help pull them forward.So you may have to watch for that as well.

Was there any sort of audio package you could purchase from the dealership when XJs were originaly sold? That could account for this mismatching.

My 97 came with ~6" (odd sized, think it falls under the 6/6.5" sizing) in the doors, and 5.25"s in the sound bar. Some places said it would only take 5.25"s in the doors, while others said 6" or 6.5".

I put the Kicker DS600s in the doors (I cut out the grills molded into the door panel, so probably anything would fit in there now), and test fit them in the sound bar as well- it looks like you could also throw a set in there. I got mine from CartronixPlus- less than $40 shipped, as opposed to Crutchfields $70 + S/H. I like Crutchfield, having used them in the past, but I don't like them enough to pay twice as much.

My 97 came with ~6" (odd sized, think it falls under the 6/6.5" sizing) in the doors, and 5.25"s in the sound bar. Some places said it would only take 5.25"s in the doors, while others said 6" or 6.5".

Correct....... Jeep like many manufactures wont follow aftermarket speaker sizes when designing there vehicles (look at the 4x6's in the Wranglers). The stock size falls someplace between 5.25 and 6.5 inches. A 5.25 is a little small and will fit but a 6.5 is to large and will require trimming. 5.25 is the "accepted" speaker size by aftermarket companies for that year.

Correct....... Jeep like many manufactures wont follow aftermarket speaker sizes when designing there vehicles (look at the 4x6's in the Wranglers). The stock size falls someplace between 5.25 and 6.5 inches. A 5.25 is a little small and will fit but a 6.5 is to large and will require trimming. 5.25 is the "accepted" speaker size by aftermarket companies for that year.
yup you guys are right. i ended up drilling new holes, worked out great.

Here's a pic of the factory speakers ('99) compared to a 6.5" inifinity speaker. The 6.5's fit with room to spare. Needed to redrill of course.

Are those the Infinity Reference 6022SI speakers like these? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086022SI/Infinity-Reference-6022si.html?c=3&tp=95&avf=N

Also there was no cutting etc to make them work. Just redrilling holes? The reason I ask is Crutchfield says the 6022I does not fit but the 6022SI will fit. The only difference I see is the mount depth. Also does the door panel need any trimming?

Thanks,

Sorry for the delay, this one slipped through the cracks. My speakers are Infinity Reference 6012si. Like you, I looked at crutchfields recommendations. After everything was said and done, I'm fairly confident that the plain 6012 speakers will fit just as well. The 6012 has an adjustable tweeter and it probably sticks out a bit further. Even if the magnet is deeper, it shouldn't interfere with the window. I had plenty of room between the magnet and the window glass. To install, Installation required redrilling the holes, and nothing else. The speaker sits slightly off-center compared to the integratred factory grill. I think that's mostly because I decided to use one of the factory holes intead of redrilling all four and centering the speaker.

Click on images for larger version

Might take a little work but they will fit. I did it on my 91 (same door) the soundbar is easy enough to cut if you need to enlarge it a bit. Depth on the door is the biggest issue.

Back