• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan cover broke off, took a hose with it

SpenceXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj and lst night I started the jeep like normal to hear a really really bad sound. Alot on clanking and banging and I had no idea what it was so I shut her off. I take a look under the hood to find the fan cover missing and the radiator overflow hose (I think) tangled in it. It seems to have ripped the hose in two and took it for a spin and was leaking rad fluid or maybe water? everywhere.

Does anyone know why this happened? I don't get how the cover can just break off.

Interesting. This also happened to Aaron while driving to Moab. Seemed odd then and now with you failure I wonder why I haven't seen previous posts on the subject. My guess would be shot motor mounts allowing fan to contact the shroud.

Interesting. This also happened to Aaron while driving to Moab. Seemed odd then and now with you failure I wonder why I haven't seen previous posts on the subject. My guess would be shot motor mounts allowing fan to contact the shroud.

Hmm, the motor mounts seem to be fine though?

Anyone else?

Was it cold? I broke mine working under the hood one day, like 15 degrees out. Snapped right in half.

Maybe yours could have been cracked and it just decided to let go. I could be, and probably am, wrong though.

Was it cold? I broke mine working under the hood one day, like 15 degrees out. Snapped right in half.

Maybe yours could have been cracked and it just decided to let go. I could be, and probably am, wrong though.

It has been in the single digits and night and I've been waking up to a frozen over car everyday. Do you guys think without that hose it would be okay to get the the stealership?

Mine had a broken tab I heard a hell of a noise and nothing, opened the hood and no sign of the shroud, it pulled a vanishing act.

Mine had a broken tab I heard a hell of a noise and nothing, opened the hood and no sign of the shroud, it pulled a vanishing act.

Haha, kinda the same thing with me. Have you replaced it?

nope, i'll wait until springtime. dont need it right now

You should be good to drive. If it is the return line to the reservoir. I would not go too far though and keep an eye on the temp gauge, or run the heater full blast.

You should be good to drive. If it is the return line to the reservoir. I would not go too far though and keep an eye on the temp gauge, or run the heater full blast.

Thanks man. It was the hose running to the little tank that says coolant on top. Alot of fluid leaked out and I should prolly put more back in but I don't know what it is. Would it be coolant or rad. fluid?

Last edited:
Thanks man. It was the hose running to the little tank that says coolant on top. Alot of fluid leaked out and I should prolly put more back in but I don't know what it is. Would it be coolant or rad. fluid?

Same difference. Make sure the coolant is either pre-mixed (more expensive), or mix it 50/50 coolant to water yourself. Check to see where your level is on your reservoir, the bottom mark is when your engine is cold and the top mark for when it is hot. Should be on the inside/right hand side of the bottle looking at the engine.

If you want you can go to Napa or another auto parts store and they should be able to get you a replacement hose (3 to 4 feet should do it, go longer you can always cut it to fit). With out the shroud though make sure the hose is clearing the fan and does not have much play that it could hit the fan, then you are starting all over.

Do not start you engine with the hood open. If you do watch out for the moving fan, it will take your finger off.

Got a new hose. Temps look good.

Thanks for the help guys!

I had that happen to me twice now. First time in my work van with a cat. Second time it was a family of skunks taking refuge in the engine compartment of my plow truck. Was going to get a supply of wood and poof a wretched smell came out from under the hood.

Check for excesses fan wobble. Your clutch fan could be shot. If the E-fan kicks in a lot more then it use to is also a sine.

Back