• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Control Arms Help Please

CanadianCool

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there I could really use some advise I have a set adjustable upper and lower control arms in the cherokee from RE and my problem is I set the Lowers to 16 1/4 and the uppers to 15 1/2 I can get the lowers in no problem but only 1 upper is it ok to have one upper arm longer than the other? I tried everything i could think of to get the other upper arm to line up. i used and large pipewrench and a jack to try and rotate the axle back to line up the hole. It looks like one side is out almost a 1/2 inch. Has any one else had this problem? Ready to kill something please help.

Having some variation in arm lengths by itself would hurt anything.The question would be why?Alignment might tell you something or even previous body damage!

I had the same problem with my fixed one, it was just a matter of installing the lowers first, jacking the diff about to get the onther ends to line up and use a screw driver throught the bolt hole to get it lined up perfect

I just installed RE adj UCA's and had the same problem.
I jacked the side that wouldn't line up, and also ratchet strapped that side to the rear axle to spin it in the direction it needed to turn to match up the holes. If you have a tree saver strap or a strap with a closed loop cinch it around the axle so that when it pulls it will turn the axle the way it needs to move in order to line up.
will take a bit of play, but it will fit in time.
In the end after trying to force the bolt through one way, I pulled it out and tried from the other side... slipped right thru perfectly... bugar!

I use a come-a-long to pull axles into position when installing control arms and leaf springs.
Safe, simple, strong and effective.

Back