• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny...

xJeepxXJxThingx

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the story i somehow blew my old tranny and today i started to unbolt it and let everything down...... I disconnected the linkage going to the transmission and cant figure out how to disconnect the linkage to the transfer case... does it just pop off when i let the tranny dwn and also anything i should watch out for??????????

Yes, it just pops off. You might have to push the tranny towards the passenger side. There are two small screws holding a plate on the mount that goes into the body. Whats the tranny issue? You did rule out the typical electrical problems first?

I tried and plus my tranny fluid was black and I don't believe that is a good sign the tranny is just really difficult cause I can't get the top bolt off and plus I picked the tranny up for 150 why not replace it

$150 for a used is a decent price. Did the fluid smell burnt or just look old? The top two bolts are buggers as they are external torx heads. A 12-point socket and lots of extensions works fine though.

A few other tips off the top of my head - Remove the CPS sensor so you don't damage it. Unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate and remove it with the tranny. Make sure the torque converter is full seated by turning it until it goes all the way in before trying to install the tranny. If its not fully seated you'll damage it or the tranny bolting things up. A pair of long bolts with the heads cut off and slotted for a screwdriver are handy. Screw them into the side bolt holes and use them as guide pins to line things up.

It smelled burnt i got the top two off using some really long extensions and broken sockets and now all the bolts are off and its not sliding off.the torque converter is still bolted to the fly wheel but shouldnt it still slide off i wouldnt have any clue as to how to take those off

Unbolt the torque converter. You need to remove it anyway, and unbolting it helps prevent damaging it when you pull the tranny. You don't want it supporting the weight of the tranny. The t/c bolts should be accessible if you've remove the aluminum cover plate (which you'd need to do regardless). Other bolts that may be hanging you up are the starter, and I remember another smaller bolt on the passenger side that went in from the front. I think it held the dipstick tube or it has ground wires attached.

From the bottom I can only see two bolts on the flywheel holding the torque converter where can I access the other two or does it turn by hand.

Use a wrench on the bolt on the harmonic balancer to turn the crank. If you don't have air tools, you might need to put a wrench on there to hold the crank if if its turning when you loosen the t/c bolts.

might need to put a wrench on there to hold the crank if if its turning when you loosen the t/c bolts.
=========================================================
Use a breaker bar and pipe/handle extension. Just let the pipe make contact with the ground or anything a little force will not damage. Check torque of crank bolt when finished.

I got those bolts off finally and now i just have to disconnect every wire about how many are there and also what are the two steel lines connecting to the tranny and how do you remove them

Okay. I think I would have unplugged everything first. :}

Should be two electrical connectors for the tranny. Follow the wiring up to the two connectors on the passenger side of the firewall. You didn't mention what year, but I think they were grey and black for all the years. You might have wiring a vac line, or speedo cable to the xfer case depending on the year.

The two lines going into the side of the tranny are for the tranny cooler. There are little plastic tabs on te quick connect that you squeeze in and pull the lin out. Don't lose the orings when it comes apart. You unbolted the dipstick tube from the firewall as well? It does pull out down near the pan, but sometimes its really hard to get out.

I finally got the whole transmission out and under my car now the difficult part was having to attach my acceleration cable but i did that with ease.... Now i am just taking a break and am scared i dont run into any problems putting it back in anyone have any tips......

A few other tips off the top of my head - Remove the CPS sensor so you don't damage it. Unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate and remove it with the tranny. Make sure the torque converter is full seated by turning it until it goes all the way in before trying to install the tranny. If its not fully seated you'll damage it or the tranny bolting things up. A pair of long bolts with the heads cut off and slotted for a screwdriver are handy. Screw them into the side bolt holes and use them as guide pins to line things up.

Back