• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can't keep it started

nicksjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i just picked up an 89 xj and it starts then dies withen a few seconds. i bypassed ballast resistor and replaced fuel pump relay. what should i look for?
progress.gif

idk if yours has an alarm, but mine did the same thing as you are describing, and it was the alarm.

idk if yours has an alarm, but mine did the same thing as you are describing, and it was the alarm.

Good thought, forgot about that. Had to cycle the ign a few times then lock the door with the key then unlock it then cycle the ign again and the doors again then it started and kept running.

I'LL CHECK THE TPS. WITH PRESSING THE GAS WHEN IT STARTS IT DIES. WHAT WOULD THAT MEAN. THANKS FOR THE ADVISE

but this doenst have an alarm

i could be wrong i will check again but i am almost sure there is not an alarm in it

Crank Posititon sensor!!!!

try posting this question in the OEM tech forum and you get an entire nations worth of naxja viewers to help.

My CPS was shorting out, and yes it was running, only for a second though. It was misfiring real bad also.

i checked at the valve stem for the fuel injecters and i had a pretty good stream of fuel

nick, since you live soo close if you dont get it running by sunday, I can swing by over there and we can check it out...just a thought..JOSH

I had a good stream too, but the 90 XJ ran like crap and would die in a minute. You really need to see the pressure. It would have saved me a LOT of time, trouble, frustration and money if I had checked the pressure with a gauge from the very beginning. Although, I really did need to replace the headgasket anyway.

Check the pressure witha fuel pressure gauge.

Back