• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock Cylinder

How do I get the "tumbler" out of the "cylinder"? Or should I take it to a locksmith and have them re-key the new ignition cylinder? But I would really like the advice on how to separate the ignition "cylinder" form the "tumbler" aka the place the key goes into.

2000 xj

Thanks

Remove the Phillips screws that hold on the bottom plastic steering column trim. Put the key in the ignition. Turn the key forward one position at a time. At some point ( before the engine starts) the square tab on the lock cylinder can be pushed gently up. Then you give the key a tug and the key and lock cylinder will pull out.

The last time I needed a new ignition cylinder I bought a complete set of locks with a key on eBay and swapped them all.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what year we're talking about here or are they all the same? I need to swap my original tumbler to my new Junkyard column. Mine is a 1997 and I can't remove the botton piece of plastic with the tumbler in place. I thought I'd have to go through the top which includes removal of the greatly feared airbag. Thanks, Al

Info for a 97XJ
MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH
WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS,
REFER TO GROUP 8M - PASSIVE
RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY
STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR
INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR
SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS
COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG
DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL
INJURY.
(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative
cable.
(2) Remove the steering column opening cover as
described in Group 8E - Instrument Panel Systems.
(3) If the vehicle is so equipped, move the tilt
steering column to the fully raised position.
(4) Insert the key in the ignition lock cylinder and
turn the ignition switch to the On position.
(5) Insert a small screwdriver or pin punch
through the access hole in the lower steering column
shroud and depress the ignition lock cylinder retaining
tumbler (Fig. 4).
(6) While holding the retaining tumbler depressed,
pull the ignition lock cylinder and key out of the ignition
lock housing.

I am having key issues on my 2000 also, so I have studied the manual for the 2000. It says that you can remove the lock cylinder with the cover still in place. I haven't done it yet, but it seems that the square tab you have to push is accessable through the little hole in the bottom cover.

Instructions are the same as above, except do not remove the cover. Stick the punch or small screwdriver up through the little hole while key is in ON position. For further work on the electrical part of the ignition switch, the cover is removed AFTER the cylinder.

winterbeater you're correct. The cylinder has to be removed before the cover comes off. It is SO simple on the 97+. You don't even have to see up in the access hole. I just used a flat screw driver and when I felt spring pressure I know I had it so while pushing with the key in the "on" position I pulled it out. This is a two minute job if you disconnect the battery otherwise it takes about 15 seconds. Al

My info is for 1997-2001

On some 1997 and maybe 98 the ingintion lock cylinder is a little different and has "ears" on that may make taking the trim panel off a bit more difficult..

Yes, you can remove the lock cylinder without removing the cover, using the access hole, but it is easier to work with the cover off. You remove 3 screws to take off the lower cover.

Last edited:
I don't think you can remove the lower half of the cover on my 97 before the ingintion lock cylinder is removed. The hole in the cover that the ingintion lock cylinder goes through is smaller than the ingintion lock cylinder. Al

Back