• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I've Come to my senses (Quakerstate)

xj9687

NAXJA Forum User
So i guess they sold me with there commercial i have been using the q stuff from quakerstate now for about a year. i just bought the new torque power stuff but after that i think im gonna switch...probably to mobil one...any negatives from switching companys? i suppose its pretty much the same thing as switching from regular oil to synthetic...jw if i should stay with the quakerstate or go to the mobil one. thanks

I would not stay with Quaker State but I would not switch to synthetic either.
If synthetic is so good then why does it void a new car warranty?

langer1 said:

I find this statement baffling on many levels.

For one, synthetic oil exceeds all but a few odd MFR specs and therefore can't void a warranty. Two, it comes from the factory in many vehicles these days.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, it can't. Ditto doing your own maintenance - if you can produce a lot showing that you met or exceeded their maintenance specifications, it's just like producing receipts from other garages, or a maintenance log from the dealership - you were taking proper care of the vehicle, and that should have nothing to do with whatever failure you encountered.

The only issue I can think of when switching to synthetic is on older vehicles - all of a sudden, the seals become slippery and pliant again, and any deposits that would have been helping them seal get washed away - so you might get leaks. This isn't directly caused by the synthetic oil itself, it's caused by the effects of the synthetic oil - greater lubricity and more effective detergents. There's nothing wrong with the oil itself - just change the seals, and continue using synthetic (the new seals should be just fine.)

5-09

im already using full synthetic from qstate i was just wondering if switching brands would cause any problems say from qstate to mobil one.

No reason to. It's all got to conform to specs devised by the American Petroleum Institute (API) and the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - even the stuff the dealer sells! Depending upon the dealer, it's probably made by a "brand-name" refiner anyhow - but if they can't tell me which, I'm not buying it. I'll stick to Valvoline, Castrol, and even the Chevron stuff does a decent job of keeping things clean...

I understand Qstate got away from the Parraffin base they were using for donkey's years - which vastly improved the quality of the oil. Pennzoil is sill liquid wax - you're better of pouring it on your paint job than in your engine. Remember to buff!

5-90

so quakerstates not that bad now? idk i think im just gonna run this torque stuff through it for 4 or 5 thousand miles than swithch to mobil one

langer1 said:
I would not stay with Quaker State but I would not switch to synthetic either.

Pardon me?

Running synthetic for 25k miles like Amsoil claims you can do... will void a warranty. But as long as you keep within the change intervals, there's nothing wrong with using it in a warrantied vehicle.

Besides.... who's got an XJ that's still under warranty?! :)

Den

DenLip said:
Pardon me?

Running synthetic for 25k miles like Amsoil claims you can do... will void a warranty. But as long as you keep within the change intervals, there's nothing wrong with using it in a warrantied vehicle.

Den
the recommended change intervals are getting quite high now too. 7k on schedule B for the GFs mazda.

Re: I've Come to my senses (Quaker state)

DenLip said:
Pardon me?

Den

Independent oil test show more wear with synthetic and whats the point if you need to change it every 3k to 5k anyway?

I worked as a service manager for a fleet company, we have all our oil tested Monthly, we could have any brand of synthetic oil we want for free for our endorsement.

Our accountants run the numbers and found time after time it would cost more maintenance wise even with the free synthetic if we gave our endorsements.

Now gear oil is a different matter, were still crunching numbers on that, but still were looking at free oil.

langer1 said:
Independent oil test show more wear with synthetic and whats the point if you need to change it every 3k to 5k anyway?

I worked as a service manager for a fleet company, we have all our oil tested Monthly, we could have any brand of synthetic oil we want for free for our endorsement.

Our accountants run the numbers and found time after time it would cost more maintenance wise even with the free synthetic if we gave our endorsements.

Now gear oil is a different matter, were still crunching numbers on that, but still were looking at free oil.

wow........you're just amazing. LOL fleet vehicles on average work more and idle longer. idling does wear on the engine, even though your odometor isn't spinning. so if you guys change your fleet vehicles at the normal mileage, then you're actually running the oil longer than you should.

and who in the world showed you that synthetic produces more wear??? that would be a first. and you don't have to do synthetic oil changes at 3K. most people do it because they either weren't informed properly, have the money and don't care, or use their vehicles hard enough to were it is "cheap insurance" to change your oil more often.

i run amsoil and can easily run up to 20,000 miles between oil changes. but because i use my jeep so hard, i do the oil changes at 12,000 and the filter every 6,000.

NOW..........tell me i can't run amsoil in my engine that long.

scorpio_vette said:

I'm not going to say that, but I will say that unless you're running a UOA on your oil you don't know if you can or not either.

BTW www.bobistheoilguy.com is a good read if you want to know way more about oil than any one man should.

Ive been running synthetics for over 30 years,from the begining when there was only Amsoil and Mobil 1.At the time we were running a Class 1 rail in Score/HDRA/Baja 1000 etc.When we started using Amsoil in both the motor and trans we cut our failure rates by better than 50%.Since then weve allways run it in our race boat,sprint car,etc..Synthetic may not be a "better" lubricant,but does have alot of qualities that "dino" oils cant do.First-they "cling" to surfaces better,Second-they are basically "inert".They dont break down,and keep all material(metal,carbons/etc) in suspension for removal by the filter therefore no sludge build-up.
Cant tell you about any "actual laboritory tests",but you can tell my "real life" experiance opinion on them.

scorpio_vette said:
wow........you're just amazing. LOL fleet vehicles on average work more and idle longer. idling does wear on the engine, even though your odometer isn't spinning. so if you guys change your fleet vehicles at the normal mileage, then you're actually running the oil longer than you should.

and who in the world showed you that synthetic produces more wear??? that would be a first. and you don't have to do synthetic oil changes at 3K. most people do it because they either weren't informed properly, have the money and don't care, or use their vehicles hard enough to were it is "cheap insurance" to change your oil more often.

i run amsoil and can easily run up to 20,000 miles between oil changes. but because i use my jeep so hard, i do the oil changes at 12,000 and the filter every 6,000.

We change oil based on UOA tests not by odometer mileage.
UOA shows the contaminants in the lubricant (silicates) to date no synthetic has done better than good Petroleum oil in the engine.

Now on the other hand our racing devision runs Amsoil or Mobil 1 but thats because they are sponsors and to get the point money you have to be using the product.
They even have one running exhibition Sponsored by Ohio Department of Agriculture on all corn oil.
Our UOA is done by Mobil Oil and Great Lakes testing service we spend 30k a year on engine oil and would love to cut the cost of wear and maintenance.

We run Mobil oil and I would have to prove to our Bean counters that switching to Mobil 1 or synthetic would save them money, but I can't.

langer1 said:
We change oil based on UOA tests not by odometer mileage.
UOA shows the contaminants in the lubricant (silicates) to date no synthetic has done better than good Petroleum oil in the engine.

Suggest a better lab and some reading at bob's website then.

langer1 said:
We use several labs in addition Mobil.
try blackstone and read a bit. I don't think anyone in the history of bobistheoilguy.com has found a dino that performs as well as synthetic.

philip_g said:
try blackstone and read a bit. I don't think anyone in the history of bobistheoilguy.com has found a dino that performs as well as synthetic.

I never said it did, I only said our testing don't show any advantage in it as a Motor oil. Use in hydraulic systems, gear boxes and other clean environments is a whole different matter We do use synthetics in those.

Well, I've found that almost any dino oil gives better wear numbers in a 4.0 than Mobil 1--at least Mobil 1 10W30. Heavier oils are a different story. The old T&SUV 5W40 performed well.
Several dino oils have produced UOA's with iron and lead wear much lower than Mobil 1. Castrol High mileage, Havoline 10W30, and Valvoline Maxlife 10W30 are examples.
Quaker State isn't junk, Pennzoil isn't wax.
Best thing is to take a sample and see what's happening inside your own engine.

philip_g said:
I'm not going to say that, but I will say that unless you're running a UOA on your oil you don't know if you can or not either.

BTW www.bobistheoilguy.com is a good read if you want to know way more about oil than any one man should.

Oh, great. you'e right about the good read, and as far as "any one man should know"part, I think more accurately is " any one man should venture to find out when he should be working on something else"... me, oh my how the time does fly... I was impressed by the air filter testing, too.

Back