• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 4.0 Auto No start No power -intermittant

tekguy4

NAXJA Forum User
89 4.0 Auto No start No power

edit: buddies truck and he explained it wrong to me when I first posted this..

89 cherokee 4.0, wont start,, power to gauges, lights, etc... battery tested good... turn key.. faint click and then dead..

any thoughts?

thanks much in advance

Last edited:
Check all grounds first and foremost... And make sure the battery terminals are clean and solid connection... I always do new terminals when I do a new battery, but that's just preventative. Make sure the positive terminal is not shorting out to the air conditioner line directly above it... That was happening to me in my 88

Hallo Jeeper. Take a short jumpwire and connect pin #30 and #87 of the starterrelay. So you are checking the Fuse,Ignition switch,relay and NSS in one time, because if you do so, the startermotor will run. watch out!
Also you can bridge the big contacts with a screwdriver on the startmotor to test the starter solenoid. Starter will spin.
These test are only the beginning of a range of possibilities. Good luck :wave1:

p.s. listen to xj88superjeep!! Grounds are very important. Use jumpwires for grounding.

Last edited:
After reading the edited post, could be starter motor has one foot in the grave! Some starters go out like that where they only start the truck half the time!

My 89 did the exact same thing. I replaced the ground cable, battery terminals, and cleaned all the connections with a wire brush and solvent. Problem solved. Cost me about $10

Back