• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration dampeners

Mr_Random

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, bit of a dilemma here:

Pulled brackets from a 98 2.5L to accompany my new power steering pump and alternator (and MPI system, I'll update my build thread later), but the pulleys don't line up with my vibration/harmonic dampener.

JY wont let me take the dampener too, and I'm finding out that 91+ (or something like that) 2.5L dampeners are dealer items... don't feel like paying 150+ for one!

Anyone know if the 4.0 dampener will work in place? I know I'm practically in foreign territory for everyone... but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask!

My plan for now is to get over to the junkyard to do a visual check, then take my spare dampener to the auto parts store to compare to a 4.0L one (my spare should actually be thicker if the 4.0 is correct). I'm just so short on time lately that I figure quickly asking might save me time...

Thanks for looking!

*back from death for information purposes*

It seems the vibration dampener from a 4.0 will work, I'll go pick one up and test fit it to my engine.

The only difference looks like the foreward lip has a heavier and thicker casting on the 4.0.

Also looks like anyone who wants to move their alternator right below the A/C compressor should use the brackets from either a; 2.5L, ZJ 4.0, or any TJ (possibly YJ too, don't have an example to look at) 4.0/2.5L. You'll just have to set up another electric fan!

Nothing ground breaking, but the water pump pulley from a ZJ 4.0 (probably wrangler too) is the right fit to a later 2.5.

I'll put all this in my build/conversion thread later, along with lots of pics!

Back