• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lookin to buy a GPS. Any advice.

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I got Christmas cash and I am ready to blow it. I already ordered my skid plate for the gas tank and the mount for the winch. Next on my list is a GPS unit. I have little knowledge of which brands and specific models are good. I have seen a few Tomtoms for cheap but not sure if they are crap. I have also been told that Garmen and Magelan are good but not sure. I looking for a GPS that has good detail on off highway roads. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a Magellan and I would not get another one. I did get a cheap one but the garman just seem to be more user friendly.

i have a garmin 205 that i like. i suppose if ya bought the maps you could download the offroad stuff onto it. mine stays in my tow rig. i have a hand held as well.

Lowrance makes an excellent product, and is the way to go. I would tell you how much they cost, but the moderators may move the thread to a different forum.

dude tomtom is the way to go, works great every time, and if you make a wrong turn or something it will re-route you to the next fastest route. a lot of other cool features too. magellans are crap, the battery charge lasts for like an hour on ours

Most GPS' are pretty much the same. The differences come down to preference, rather than "better or worse." Think Ford vs Chevy.

You did mention you want off-road capability. That means you need one that allows you to use custom maps, or runs TOPO maps. This rules out the majority of the car-based GPS units in the sub-$200 range from what I can tell.

I'm about to bite the bullet on a DeLorme Earthmate hand-held which includes TOPO maps, also runs USGS 1:24 maps, has a 1gb SD card, and is a hand-held unit I can use for hiking or mountain biking as well as turn-by-turn driving. It's rediculously cheap right now.

Other 4x4 guys seem to love the Garmin 60CX.

For ease of use, customer support and product availabilty I would recommend the Garmin 60Cx or CSx, depending on what bells and whistles you have. I have a 60CSx and have used it in N and S America and Europe. The topo and City Navigator software is excellent. The use of a 4.0Gb microSD card allows me to have pretty much all the topo maps and CN nav info for the western US in the unit at one time. Downloads to the GPSr are quick. The color screen works well in daylight. Garmin now has 24k topo maps for the 60 series.

All I will say is I miss my Garmin hand held it worked great good battery life and good support, but if your looking for a permanent mount gps get the lowrance baja series

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help. It seemed like most of you are advocates of Garmin. I will start my search with them.

Most GPS' are pretty much the same. The differences come down to preference, rather than "better or worse." Think Ford vs Chevy.

You did mention you want off-road capability. That means you need one that allows you to use custom maps, or runs TOPO maps. This rules out the majority of the car-based GPS units in the sub-$200 range from what I can tell.

I'm about to bite the bullet on a DeLorme Earthmate hand-held which includes TOPO maps, also runs USGS 1:24 maps, has a 1gb SD card, and is a hand-held unit I can use for hiking or mountain biking as well as turn-by-turn driving. It's rediculously cheap right now.

Other 4x4 guys seem to love the Garmin 60CX.

i just got that for christmas(the earthmate pn-20) its bitchin but a pita to figure out everything it can do.

Back